Talk

Advanced search

Drugs and breastmilk...

(74 Posts)
mmelody Wed 30-Jul-08 15:29:09

Im just curious really...anyone know of any studies into illicit drug use and breastfeeding?? I know that women are encouraged to BF even when on a methadone prescription but I was wondering about more casual recreational use of say MDMA, psilocybin (magic mushrooms), cocaine etc

woodmill100 Wed 30-Jul-08 17:42:14

Don't know about these types of drugs but I was pretty ill after an emergency section and was on a cocktail of antibiotics, blood pressure, iron and painkilling drugs. These resulted in me expressing and binning as B/F was a no no on this combination. Unfortunately, prescriptions for me have continued and will do so for a further month so expressing has now stopped and DS is formula fed.

What I am trying to say I suppose is that if the drugs I am on are not compatible for breastfeeding then I'd presume recreational drugs would be damaging but you are obviously looking for a mother who has done this to their child and research on both mother and child carried out at the time.

onwardandupward Wed 30-Jul-08 18:07:39

I'd have to say I wouldn't think it'd do the baby any good, what with the known sedative effects of pethadine in labour on the baby as well as the mother. And the way we are supposed to severely restrict alchohol consumption while breastfeeding.

If you want your 4 week-old to be hallucinating, then go for it. hmm

But more widely - how would it be ok for a mother to be completely off her face on any of these sort of drugs while responsible for a baby? I'm somewhat shock at the idea, tbh (yeah yeah yeah, sheltered life)

mmelody Wed 30-Jul-08 21:44:00

Well as far as I am aware.. a lot of medications are perfectly ok to take and then breastfeed and i actually recall an article that I read in relation to cannabis not crossing into breastmilk..

Im just curious really and onwardandupward im sure that most responsible mothers who would like to get off their faces now and again would ensure their baby was cared for appropriately while they did so smile

I don't think its shocking at all tbh

Guadalupe Wed 30-Jul-08 21:47:55

I think most people wait until they stop breastfeeding

LadyJogsAlot Wed 30-Jul-08 21:49:12

you shouldn't breastfeed after taking drugs such as pills or coke as they are toxic to babies.

there is no safe limit. there is no research.

LittleMissBliss Wed 30-Jul-08 21:54:13

What an odd thread.

snotbuster Wed 30-Jul-08 21:57:51

There was a case (either UK or the States) a few years ago when a baby died after the mother had been doing coke and then breastfeeding. She was charged with murder.

mmelody Wed 30-Jul-08 21:58:31

Personally I have no intention of taking any.. I was just curious as to whether anyone had any information/experience.

Laugs Wed 30-Jul-08 21:59:39

I'm sure there couldn't be research into this as it's unethical. they can't even produce research on pregnant women and homeopathic drugs, herbal teas and such like, because you can hardly ask a woman to take that potential risk for the sake of science.

crokky Wed 30-Jul-08 22:00:17

It is unlikely this has been studied because it would be unethical to do so.

Re your point about mothers getting off their faces whilst their baby is cared for appropriately...I disagree with this because whilst the mother spent 9 months pregnant, it wasn't possible for someone else to do the caring. Therefore, having behaved responsibly for 9 months, a further few months to a year whilst breastfeeding shouldn't be too difficult a time to continue the responsible behaviour.

mmelody Wed 30-Jul-08 22:00:23

Why odd littlemissbliss? Lots of people take drugs whether you think its ok or not.. its just a fact. I am interested.

Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-08 22:00:34

Surely it is blatantly obvious that a mother shouldn't be using illegal drugs when breastfeeding her child? hmm

LittleMissBliss Wed 30-Jul-08 22:00:52

It's just a silly question what sane mother would want to be part of the tests needed to gather the info on the matter?

Hello maddam will you please snort a few lines of coke and then proceed to bf your baby. Sure why the hell not!

I think not!hmm

laidbackinengland Wed 30-Jul-08 22:01:28

Most illicit drugs do pass through breast milk in variable quantities. I used to work in a drug service and to be honest, most clients didn't breastfeed after giving birth.

There is this info if you want to explore this further:

www.breastfeedingbasics.org/cgi-bin/deliver.cgi/content/Drugs/

Hulababy Wed 30-Jul-08 22:03:02

"Illegal Drugs
If you are breastfeeding, you should not take illegal drugs. Some drugs, such as cocaine and PCP, can make the baby high. Other drugs, such as heroin and marijuana can cause irritability, poor sleeping patterns, tremors, and vomiting. Babies can become addicted to these drugs. If you are having a hard time quitting, ask your doctor or a trusted friend for help. "

LittleMissBliss Wed 30-Jul-08 22:03:23

My opinion is not on drug taking just that you would think that tests would have been undertaken in a lab somwhere.

I can just see the queue of eager mothers to sign up now.

mmelody Wed 30-Jul-08 22:03:28

crokky.. my DS is 12 months old and personally I havnt been out since he was born.. but I know plently of mums who have gone out and left baby with babysitter/DP/grandparents for a night while they get drunk.. its no different in my opinion

LadyJogsAlot Wed 30-Jul-08 22:06:01

except for drugs stay in your system for much longer than alcohol.

a glass of wine won't make your bfed baby sick but a pill probably will.

so, no, it's not the same.

Laugs Wed 30-Jul-08 22:06:55

I suppose there might be some info about going out and not breastfeeding your child that night, but waiting until you felt the drugs had left your system and whether that would be ok. I just think it would still be a problem getting subjects for research.

mmelody Wed 30-Jul-08 22:07:13

So how do you know that ladyjogs alot??

LittleMissBliss Wed 30-Jul-08 22:07:28

The comedown from drugs is worse than a hangover, and would have a detramental effect on a persons child caring skills.

crokky Wed 30-Jul-08 22:08:17

mmelody - I wasn't talking about not going out. By all means, go out! What I meant was you shouldn't put hazardous substances in your body whilst you are out if you are breastfeeding. If you've left baby overnight, it's unlikely you are exclusively breastfeeding.

LadyJogsAlot Wed 30-Jul-08 22:08:25

how can they give that advice?!?!
it's impossible to say without putting babies at risk.

Guadalupe Wed 30-Jul-08 22:08:57

well, there are studies on how long drugs stay in your system aren't there?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now