Talk

Advanced search

10 month old bf baby has never done a solid poo is this normal

(4 Posts)
littlesqualker Wed 30-Jul-08 12:04:40

Hi my ds is still bf and takes a couple of feeds throughout the day and every few hours at night he eats three good meals and snacks most days but has never done a solid formed poo. The consistency changes from very soft and runnny to liquid. Most of the time we have trouble keeping it in his nappy. Is this normal I thought that once they were weaned they would have solid poo like a pat in his nappy. Maybe it is because he is still drinking a lot of breast milk? Is this normal anyone.

whomovedmychocolate Wed 30-Jul-08 12:05:36

Absolutely normal. DD only started doing proper poos when she got to 13 months and ate a substantial amount of solid food (ie more than milk)

sitdownpleasegeorge Wed 30-Jul-08 12:07:29

I formula fed and still didn't get solid poos until ds was on purely solids with just milk at bedtime or with meals.

Mummyfor3 Wed 30-Jul-08 12:09:07

Yes, very normal. In fact there is such a thing as toddler diarrhea which my DS still has at 5 years: v lose motions, 2-3x/day, otherwise v well child: eats like a horse, no tummy pain, no fever, well in every respect.
Breast milk is a mild natural laxative so you may see that things change when he is weaned, but then again maybe not (see above).
By the way, my other DS aged 4 years eats virtually the same diet as his brother, probably more fruit and veg, and has always been and still is Mr Constipated. Go, figure!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now