Talk

Advanced search

help - not sure where to post - my hair is falling out in clumps!!!!!!

(17 Posts)
nik76 Wed 30-Jul-08 09:13:34

Just had a shower and washed hair and its coming out in clumps, just like hair extensions!!!!

It long hair and DD is 19 weeks today, I am BF is it related to any of these things????

Its not knotted or cotted just coming out in a stright clump each time I run my hand down my hair to get the water out. I am really worried.

zaphod Wed 30-Jul-08 09:24:20

This is normal after having a baby. It happened to me each time, and some mornings when I'd get up there would be strands of hair on the pillow. Nothing to worry about at all. It will stop after a month or so, and no hair loss will be noticeable.

Shooflypie Wed 30-Jul-08 09:32:33

Isn't this because your hair stops falling out when you're pregnant? Then all the hair that you would have lost over the last 9 months, starts falling out after you've given birth.
If it's any consolation this is happening to me and all my NCT group (DCs are 18 weeks)and I've just been out in the garden to brush my hair!
If you are worried about clumps, perhaps ask HV?

prettybird Wed 30-Jul-08 09:40:43

Sounds normal. Shooflyflie is correct - it's c'cos your normal hair browth/fall out cycle is disruptef while you are pregnant and everytihng stays in growth stage. The, after you have had your baby - at about 4 months or os - so spot on for you - all the hair that would have normally been in "fall out" phase whiel you were pregnant, then falls out.

SuperSillyus Wed 30-Jul-08 09:45:26

Normal, happened to me each time. My sister had actual bald patches for a while and couldn't tie up her hair or they showed.

mellyonion Wed 30-Jul-08 09:50:13

arrrrgggh! i had this too, really badly after my dc2...i actually had almost baldy patches on the sides of my head where it had receded.....no one else could see it though.....just wore my hair to cover it...

try not to worry about it...it'll slow down and all will return to normal soon (ish!)

its all down to hormones...damn things!

nik76 Wed 30-Jul-08 10:44:34

thank god for that knew some was normal but not this bad!!!!!

Maybe i should keep it and have it put back in as extensions.

thanks for your replies x

MsDemeanor Wed 30-Jul-08 10:46:54

It's normal, but I found taking a decent multivitamin seemed to help when the hair loss went on and on. Scary isn't it?!

ChopsTheDuck Wed 30-Jul-08 10:48:01

I hated that too. Mine was also really noticiable in the shower. It will stop eventually.

nik76 Thu 31-Jul-08 06:56:22

Is there anything left of my body thats not been affected?????

uberalice Thu 31-Jul-08 08:01:01

I FF ds1 and BF ds2, and both times lost lots of hair. It's normal after giving birth, not related to BF. It's horrible isn't it!

MrsTittleMouse Thu 31-Jul-08 08:03:47

Oh I hated that. When it grows back it forms a halo of short fluffy bits around your head too (or at least, mine did). The new growth is just getting long enough to do something decent with, and I'll be giving birth again in 3 months and it will all start over again!

motherinferior Thu 31-Jul-08 08:17:56

Totally normal. Huge hanks were everywhere after DD1. Friend is moulting revoltingly after her third at the moment, poor love.

Top tip if you have another baby - have a serious haircut around the time it's due. Really helped with the fall-out after DD2's birth. (Mind you I went into labour four hours after leaving the salon!)

nik76 Thu 31-Jul-08 09:36:54

My hair is half way down my back - will take years to get it all back!!!

prettybird Thu 31-Jul-08 11:02:32

.. but it's hair that would have fallen out normally about to 14 months ago. it was only 'cos you were pregnant that it didn't fall out. it just means you will have one wee layer of "regrowth" hair that is all one length as it re-starts its growth/fall out cycle.

ILikeYourSleeves Thu 31-Jul-08 11:10:40

I had this, lost loads of hair! I would dry my hair and a small hairy mountain would form on the bed. I don't think it's related to BFing, just post pregnancy madness. I didn't shed hair at all when I was Pg so I think it was my body making up for it.

The good news is it DOES stop!

Don't worry!

girlsallaround Thu 31-Jul-08 11:14:30

dont worry it will stop!
both times i bf i had tons of hair coming out, it was ridiculous i could collect it in bags !!!
it just stops after a while
try not to use too chemically shampoos and to wash every other day rather than every day
and if i try to recall i think it was about 2 months into bf or even later that it happened...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now