Talk

Advanced search

Help BF Gurus!

(8 Posts)
TettyLouBar Tue 29-Jul-08 12:14:39

Hello,
DD 6 wks old now, BF well and stacking on the weight (10z last week!) But in last fortnight DD struggling at breast after letdown and crying, pulling off breast and then crying until I put her back on. Then she'll click constantly for normally the rest of the feed.
I think that my letdown/flow so strong that she's losing suction at breast because she can't keep up with flow.
Taking in loads of air and no matter how much i wind her she ends up with hiccups.

HV told me that it's nipple confusion due to using occasional EBM bottle and to stop bottles for 2-3 weeks...
BF advisor told me her latch on is fine and its my let-down. That I should try to nurse her lying down with her across my chest to stem flow. This helps loads but isn't boosting my confidence to BF in public - how do I lie down in public??!!
Will this settle down? Stupid question, but is there a way to reduce the flow? Will she adjust to the flow? its been over 2 weeks now and I'm worried she'll start rejecting BF.
sad

moondog Tue 29-Jul-08 12:17:31

Could you try expressing abit before the feed to lessen the gush? I have also found that afewfeeds/days of feeding in a very queit darkenedroom can helpcalm down afussy baby.

VictorianSqualor Tue 29-Jul-08 12:18:28

It'll settle itself down. Has there been a recent growth spurt?
Often after a growth spurt your body makes more milk and can take a while to settle back into the way it was working before.
It really doesn't take too long tbh.

We had the same problem a few weeks ago. I started feeding from only one side and hand expressing a little before the beginning of a feed.

Have a read of this on kellymom

Shitehawk Tue 29-Jul-08 12:19:57

I had problems with fast let-down on one side - particularly first thing in the morning. Dd would throw everything back up then need to feed again, but the second feed was much better and she always kept it down. I came to the conclusion that it was coming too fast for her.

My solution was to express first, before she woke up for her feed, and from the very first time I did that we had no more problems.

Worth a shot?

TettyLouBar Tue 29-Jul-08 12:50:10

will try expressing first. seems to be at every feed!!I'm guessing there must have been a growth spurt recently as she was emptying both boobs during some feeds but she has definately started to settle again now.

TettyLouBar Tue 29-Jul-08 12:51:59

loving the name shitehawk

TettyLouBar Tue 29-Jul-08 12:51:59

loving the name shitehawk

TettyLouBar Tue 29-Jul-08 12:52:44

oops sorry double post

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now