Talk

Advanced search

Expressing at work - when there is nowhere suitable

(6 Posts)
KelaH Tue 29-Jul-08 11:56:48

Originally posted this in Going Back to Work, was advised to repost here.

Legally, work have to provide pg/bfing mums somewhere to rest, right? Which could also be somewhere to express. But what about when there isn't anywhere? I am going back in Oct and need to sort this out, but there really isn't anywhere at my office - I work in an open plan office, there are a couple of meeting rooms but they are often in use, and one has a window in the door. There is literally nowhere else (very old building, not designed to be used as offices).

Any advice about what to do? The HR people and my boss are lovely and I don't want to get arsey with them, but I also don't want to stop bfing. And not sure what they could do anyway.

aurorec Tue 29-Jul-08 11:59:46

Have you tried contacting HR now to let them know, and see if they have a potential solution/ suggestion?

KelaH Tue 29-Jul-08 12:02:04

I am in the middle of drafting an email, just not sure what to say.

Umlellala Tue 29-Jul-08 12:17:16

"Dear HR/name,

As you know, I will be coming back to work in Oct and I will still be breastfeeding my child. This means I will need a (private) space in which to express breastmilk during the day. I have thought about it, and I can't think of anywhere suitable (except perhaps a meeting room - could I book this?). Is there somewhere that has been used before, or do you have any ideas?

Thanks"

In the first instance.

Then obv if they get arsey/suggest the toilet, you can start to quote legislation. But give them a chance first!

KelaH Tue 29-Jul-08 12:20:40

That is pretty similiar to what I was thinking Umlellala, just worded better , thanks. Problem is, this is uncharted territory for them as I am first person to come back from mat leave in this dept/office in a very long time (possibly ever!!)

Umlellala Tue 29-Jul-08 12:25:23

Exactly, so they will probably want to help but not have a clue how grin. Good suggestions on other thread I think...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now