Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and losing weight

(4 Posts)
pudding25 Mon 28-Jul-08 21:29:18

I am BF my dd who is 11 wks old and I would like to try and get rid of the extra stone I have. Don't worry, I have no intention of doing ant low cal faddy diets. Apart from the fact I know I should not while BF, I like food too much!
Anyway, I am confused about how many extra cals BF uses, how many extra cals I need or don't need. When I asked the HV today, she just said eat healthily! That's all well and good. I do eat healthily most of the time but you can still have too much of a good thing.

Any advice?

elmoandella Mon 28-Jul-08 21:33:07

300-500cals if i remember correctly. someone will know exactly.

just eat your normal calorie allowance as if you were not dieting and do excercise. try toning stuff. as bouncy cardio isn't good for the boobs

rozzyraspberry Tue 29-Jul-08 14:27:14

I started running again when ds3 was 8 weeks old and have lost over a stone (he's now 24 weeks). As long as you get a good supportive bra there's no reason not to do cardio exercise. I believe you should carry on your life as normal when you're bf.

As far as extra calories go I read that you would have to be severely malnourished before it would affect bf. I've never eaten any more than normal whilst I've been bf although sleep deprivation as times has made me crave chocolate a bit more than normal!

Helgicita Tue 29-Jul-08 15:56:42

Agree with the above. I overate massively after DC2 was born and have only in the last 6 weeks got my eating under control. I've upped the quality of my meals and decreased the quantity. And started exercising more. The weight is slowly coming off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now