Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this enough breastfeeds for a 7.5mth old?

(11 Posts)
Caz10 Mon 28-Jul-08 20:19:11

My dd seems to have stopped feeding quite so often over the past couple of weeks. I've been trying to reduce night feeds and thought she would up her daytime feeds but it seems like the opposite has happened! Just not sure if this is enough...a typical day would be (approx):

BF:
1. when she wakes up 6am-ish
2. After 1st nap 10am
3. After 2nd nap 2pm
4. After 3rd nap if she has one, or just late afternoon 4-5pmish
5. Before bed 6.30pm

Am mucking about with nighttime feeds to see if I can cut them down, but generally there will be at least 1, sometimes 2, before waking up again.

Now that I've written that all down it sounds a lot, but this is a baby that was feeding every 2hrs day and night until last week!

littlemisssplendid Mon 28-Jul-08 20:59:41

My 3 month old only feeds about 6x per 24 hours (hope I'm not tempting fate by writing that!)

rachelgreen Mon 28-Jul-08 21:23:21

as long as her nappies are still wet that sounds about right - don't forget, they become much more efficient feeders the longer they've been doing it, so she's probably getting much more milk in a shorter space of time (let her suck your finger for a few seconds, you'll be surprised at the strength!)

they tend to self-regulate their intake pretty well when BF - am assuming she's started on first taste foods now too? so this will prob cause a slight drop in her milk intake, altho' not loads at the beginning.

good luck with reducing the night feeds! (I've been there! - DS managed to mix up his night & day as far as feeds went and would take his 5-6 feeds between 6pm - 9am, nothing in daytime hours!)

dairymoo Mon 28-Jul-08 21:52:45

When my DTs were this age I think they were on about the same (and at least one, if not two night feeds as well). Gradually they dropped the late afternoon one (well, with a little persuasion!) when I started giving them their tea a bit earlier and more of it. Then they miraculously went down to one night feed and then dropped that at about 9.5 months (cue Halleluiah chorus!!) and have slept through since. They dropped their mid-morning one at about 10 months and are on 3 BFs a day (on waking, after lunchtime nap and bedtime) now, at 11 months. I'm planning on dropping the mid-afternoon one soon, maybe when they are 13 months or so - will have to see when they seem ready.

Anyway, just wanted to give you an idea of what happened with me - and that a full night's sleep may not be that far round the corner for you! smile

Caz10 Tue 29-Jul-08 20:59:32

ooooh thanks all - and wow that would be wonderful if things went the same way as yours dairymoo, fingers are tightly crossed!!

rachelgreen - aargh - did you manage to turn his feeds back around?

Thomcat Tue 29-Jul-08 21:09:14

Sounds about right to me.
At 6 months I started mine on solids and her routine has stayed the same since then s we are doing:

- Breastfeed on waking - between 5.30 and 7pm

- Breakfast of weatabix and slice of toast at 7.30 - 8am

Breastfeed again at 10am then a nap

Lunch at 12 - 12.30ish

Breastfeed at 3pm

Tea at 5 ish

Breastfeed again at 7pm and bed for the night

Does that help at all???????!!!!!?????

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 29-Jul-08 21:13:00

Message withdrawn

Caz10 Tue 29-Jul-08 21:19:45

thanks! in actual fact it's really MORE than is being demanded as quite often I am offering the middle of the day feeds, she is not appearing v hungry - but she then takes a massive feed.

We had weight gain/feeding probs when she was little so i think I'm very wary of not feeding her enough iyswim

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 29-Jul-08 21:21:11

Message withdrawn

Caz10 Tue 29-Jul-08 21:41:01

worry?? moi??!! PFB?!!!!! grin

Only now after 7mths am I slowly gaining confidence in bf-ing, after rotten HV interference at the beginning, so every shift in behaviour makes me wobble a bit, but we will get there!

Caz10 Tue 29-Jul-08 21:41:26

worry?? moi??!! PFB?!!!!! grin

Only now after 7mths am I slowly gaining confidence in bf-ing, after rotten HV interference at the beginning, so every shift in behaviour makes me wobble a bit, but we will get there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now