Talk

Advanced search

feeding through broken glass

(18 Posts)
liahgen Mon 28-Jul-08 20:12:52

hi all.

Am feeding 5th dc, almost 15 mths. Am ttc so have cut feeds to last thing at night and first in morn, but boy does it bloody hurt on one side, 9her favourite)

NEVER have i had breast pain in all my breastfeeding years, and i've fed all my dc's for almost 2 years.

She's fussy, won't feed if disruptions etc so do it in bed only.

Put her to bed hour ago and still my breast is absolutely killing, i could cry it's so bad. Have looked closely at nipple and posted couple pics in my profile if anyone wants to have a look, blush and offer an opinion. The tiny hole you can see has not been visible before tonight and this has been going on for weeks. I am genuinely contemplating stopping bf her because of this.

HELP

liahgen Mon 28-Jul-08 20:16:39

anyone?

janx Mon 28-Jul-08 20:24:07

Are you feeling ok? Do you have a temperature? I had terrible trouble with my second child- I had mastitus, thrush - you name I had it. Go and see your GP as soon as you can. I did not have a hole like that but did suffer the broken glass symptoms - good luck

Thankyouandgoodnight Mon 28-Jul-08 20:29:06

This is me too but I'm on Day 4 with new DS - roaringly sore and bleeding. His latch is fine, I feel fine - but the pain - it's absolutely dreadful. I'm using that Lanisoh stuff and airing my nipples etc but it's just dreadful. I can only sympathise. If anyone has any magic tips, please post them here asap!

I would go and see your GP about the hole if it's a new thing? Oh dear. Poor you

takingitasitcomes Mon 28-Jul-08 20:34:23

Ooo - looks sore, poor you! I've had mastitis before, but I haven't had a hole like that; however, I suspect it's an infection of some sort, so you probably should go to the doctor now as it sounds like you've given yourself a while to see if it'll go away by itself. Good luck - I hope it goes soon. It would be a sad way to end breastfeeding your dc's if you leave it 'cause it's painful.

liahgen Mon 28-Jul-08 20:54:11

thanks ladies. No i don't feel unwell. I'm fairly certain it's not mastisis. Thought it might be thrush to start but no ther signs.

think will give doc call tomorrow. Do you think he'll know anything about it?

Thankyouand goodnight, Are you sure latch is fine, shouldn't really be toe curling sore after you've got over the milk just in full feelings.

papaya Mon 28-Jul-08 21:16:30

thankyo and goodnight I suffered terribly for about 4 weeks with sore/cracked bleeding nipples, I aired my nipples etc etc but found that the ONLY thing that cured my pain was 'moist healing' with lansinoh, it worked a dream, google it and i think you will find loads of helpful stuff, Basically if the nipple is always kept moist it helps it heal without re breaking scabs and making nips bleed again at each feed, if that makes sense!!

hth
xxx

papaya Mon 28-Jul-08 21:19:42

Just found this

Moist Wound Healing

What’s in? Moist wound healing.

What’s out? Keeping sore nipples dry while healing. Blow-drying nipples.

Prevention is still the "best medicine." Sore, cracked, bleeding, or blistered nipples can be prevented by proper positioning and latch-on. However, when a practitioner is faced with a mother who is already exhibiting these symptoms, rapid healing is essential to relieve the pain, maintain the breastfeeding relationship and prevent future mastitis. Cracked nipples can provide the entrance point for bacteria. Restoring skin integrity is the best barrier to infection.

Borrowed from enterstomal therapists and others who are experts at promoting healing of broken skin, moist wound healing techniques involves keeping the wound moist and warm, which prevents scab formation and accelerates healing.

Purified lanolin works well to retain the skin’s natural moisture and protects the nipple skin from further abrasion. Lanolin is absorbed into the upper layers of the epidermis and should not be removed before breastfeeding. Any cream, ointment or salve that has to be removed before the next feeding may disrupt the healing process.

Hydrogel dressings are gaining popularity in situations where nipple damage is severe. These dressings utilize a saline-based hydrophilic polymer (thick gelatinous paste similar to the inside of an aloe leaf) or a glycerine based gel that does not need to be rinsed off before nursing. These moist wound dressings produce a healing environment, provide a bacterial barrier and feel soothing. Hydrogel is also available in a tube form.

Healing wounds must be allowed to "breath". Lanolin and hydrogel dressings both allow the wound to breath while moisturizing the skin by preventing insensible water loss.

Soaks of water, saline solution, hydrogen peroxide are not recommended because they cause maceration of the healing and surrounding skin. "Super" hydrating the skin, then allowing it to dry between soaks promotes cracking during the drying phase and healing is delayed. Applying hindmilk to the nipples at the end of feedings and allowing it to dry may be soothing to a mother with simple nipple tenderness but probably not enough for more damaged nipples.

The wearing of wet breast pads is not "moist wound healing". Wearing wet pads is similar to the soaks mentioned above. When they are replaced with dry ones, drying of the nipple skin occurs similar to licking chapped lips . They will eventually become cracked.

Applying oils to the skin may temporarily slow the evaporation of natural moisture, but oils are readily absorbed by pads or the bra and not absorbed into the skin.

The wound needs to be protected from adhering to the bra between breastfeeding sessions. Simply applying purified lanolin may be enough to prevent this in small wounds. In wounds that produce more exudate, adhering to the bra may be a problem. Breast shells may provide the protection that is needed until healing is more complete. If hydrogel is used, the dressing will protect the nipple from adhesion to the bra.

bythepowerofgreyskull Mon 28-Jul-08 21:25:29

for me, the feeling of broken glass was thrush, I tried creams but in the end taking a canesten once capsule (prescribed by gp) helped.
I took it a few times in the 11 months I bf my DS1 and once when feeding DS2 it was a godsend.

good luck smile

liahgen Mon 28-Jul-08 21:25:55

blimey thats comprehensive.

Mine are not openly sore, i think it's mostly inside.

fishie Mon 28-Jul-08 21:26:05

liahgen a change of position will help you to find out what is going on and give the painful bit a rest. she might be feeding lazily and poking a tooth in, ds did that about same age and made a hole in the side of poor old nip. i turned him over and did rugby hold on the victim side.

oh and i love you for posting your nipple pic xxxxxxxxxxx (have never done that ever)

liahgen Mon 28-Jul-08 21:27:08

lol Fishie, i was desperate. blush

fishie Mon 28-Jul-08 21:32:47

like your birdy bra too.

i have looked again, i think am wrong, how could a tooth do that so small and neat? try another position and then it is bfc time if no let up.

chipmonkey Mon 28-Jul-08 21:39:11

liahgen, apparently these silverette things are brilliant for cracked nipples.

liahgen Mon 28-Jul-08 21:42:16

ooh that looks interesting.

Fishie what does bfc mean? [thicko emoticon]

chipmonkey Mon 28-Jul-08 21:53:27

breast feeding counsellor

liahgen Mon 28-Jul-08 21:57:19

ahh thank you.

Rolf Mon 28-Jul-08 22:07:22

Don't know about the hole, but your descrition of the pain sounds like thrush. There are some threads on here about it and I think there's some literature available to take to your GP in case he/she isn't very informed about thrush in milk ducts.

I found cutting down on sugar and yeast helped.

Hope it gets better smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now