Talk

Advanced search

Anyone stopped bfing after a year and regretted it?

(15 Posts)
Bumperlicious Mon 28-Jul-08 17:17:46

Just wondering really. DD is 13 months and my enthusiasm is wearing thin. I'm not sure I am ready to stop but I am wondering if I will feel physically better when I do stop (feeling knackered all the time, struggling to lose weight, hungry etc.).

I get plenty of breaks as DD happily takes cow's milk from a bottle, though when I am around (work part time) she definitely wants to bf.

Just wondering how people have felt when they have given up, what pushed them to stop (if not self weaning) and is there a chance that I am going to notice a physical difference in myself when I do stop?

tab1 Mon 28-Jul-08 17:19:35

can't help sorry but i'm very interested as my dd is also 13 months and I want to stop but she doesn't and i'm struggling to stop without being cruel and just refusing her.

itati Mon 28-Jul-08 17:20:28

Not really relevant but I stopped at 9 months and regretted it. I really miss it especially reading about long term feeders.

beanieb Mon 28-Jul-08 17:21:07

I am pretty sure lots of people have to stop so they can go back to work, so it's not an unusual thing to do.

francagoestohollywood Mon 28-Jul-08 17:32:24

No, I never regretted stopping breastfeeding my children. With ds (he was around 10 or maybe 11 months, I can't remember) we stopped as he was less and less interested in the breast. I positively felt "free".

With dd I had to stop when she was 7 months as I had to take medication. I was in such physical pain that, tbh, I didn't think much about stopping. I felt really guilty once I recovered, but no, I didn't regret it. I occasionally miss feeding a tiny baby, but that's when I feel a bit broody.

andiem Mon 28-Jul-08 17:39:23

hi bumper
I stopped feeding both of mine at about this age
ds1 self weaned but I gradually stopped with ds2 over about 2 weeks
for me the important thing was that they could drink cow's milk and didn't need to be given formula
neither have had any problems with stopping ds2 has only looked to feed once in the night but has happily accepted a cup instead
for me I felt physically free and not so tied to them also ds2 has slept through the night since I stopped bf so I obviously feel much better smile

tab1 Mon 28-Jul-08 19:42:42

what beaker do you use for cows milk, my dd drinks water from Nuby but only sips cowsa milk from nuby or tommy tippee toddler spout, whats the best after bf?

morethanasong Mon 28-Jul-08 20:16:21

I'm still feeding my 18 month old dd, but like you I felt a bit unsure about it at around the year mark - though that was more to do with not knowing anyone IRL who'd bf for much beyond that point.

I did find, though, that dd fed a lot at about 12-13 months, and that she then cut down again herself. I wonder if it's a developmental thing? I know this doesn't answer your question, but I think what I'm trying to say is, things are going to keep changing in your nursing relationship, if you decide to continue it, and so you may find it easier soon.

andiem Mon 28-Jul-08 20:26:08

hi tab I use one of these and we have just progressed to one of these

Bumperlicious Mon 28-Jul-08 21:30:17

Thanks for the replies.

Do you think it is ok for it to be more on y terms now?

Pannacotta Mon 28-Jul-08 21:36:20

I think it's fine, a good thing in fact, for it to be more on your terms at this stage.
My DS2 is 14 months and I feed him 3 or 4 times a day, or less if I'm not around but if this bothered me I would rather cut back the feeds than give up.
I have noticed that over the past few weeks he is less bothered with feeding and more into exploring etc so he seems to be cutting back a touch himself.
I am really pleased I kept on with both Dss beyond a year, its the easiest time IMO as they are not too demanding at this stage and yet it still is a great way to comfort/settle an upset little toddler.

andiem Mon 28-Jul-08 21:38:09

I do bumper but having read the self weaning thread I can see others may disagree
tbh I think you need to do what you feel is best for both of you
you have fed for over a year that is a fantastic achievement and a great start in life

Sputnik Mon 28-Jul-08 22:53:04

Others may disagree but I feel that around 1 year is a good time for many things in your relationship to start to switch to being more on your terms, for example this is when you might start to use the word no a bit more.

With my DD I settled into about 3 bfs a day around a year, and I'm looking to do that with DS now too. I found that a lot less demanding. Despite trying to lose weight with DD I didn't until abut 14 months, so hoping the same will be true with DS, as I haven't had huge sucess this time either. I kept up bf with DD til she was 2 and a bit ad I'm glad I did, as I think it helped her fight off the bugs in her 1st winter at nursery, so will be aiming for the same with DS.

Pannacotta Tue 29-Jul-08 09:57:36

I agree Sputnik about fewer feeds being less demanding, and also good point about fighting bugs. DS1 started nursery part time from 18 months and managed to avoid picking up most of the bugs going round.

Mikafan Tue 29-Jul-08 10:03:49

I know its different because my DD who is 15 month self weaned a month ago but I have to say, I feel no different in myself. I was expressing at work 4 times a day and feeding her when I was at home and I'm STILL not losing weight and feel no better/worse physically for stopping so I wouldn't expect miracles when you do stop - sorry, maybe thats just my experience though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now