Talk

Advanced search

Should I switch to follow on milk?

(6 Posts)
extrolleydolly Mon 28-Jul-08 08:08:41

Oliver is now six and a half months old. Unfortunately we never got the support at the beginning so have never been able to get him to breastfeed. He has been on SMA and then at three months old he went onto a formula for hungrier babies as he was feeding every hour. Everything has settled down until this week. He is now awake every morning at 4am (after having slept through to 6am before). He is really hungry, he is already on three meals a day plus his normal bottles. I am thinking I should switch to a follow on formula but am worried he will not find it as filling as his current formula.

These last few nights have been really hot, so maybe it is to do with that - we have been waking up too because we are too hot. Or maybe he is going through a growth spurt?!?
Advice anyone?........

RBH Mon 28-Jul-08 08:14:10

One thing I would say about follow-on formula is that it really constipated DD2.

Also there is no need to use it really. It seems to have been devised mainly as a marketing tool as the manufacturers can advertise it but not the first milk.

I do feel for you with 4am starts! Do think the weather could be partly to blame as even my good sleeper is struggling at the mo. Although oddly the poor sleeper seems more settled. Never predictable kids!

savoycabbage Mon 28-Jul-08 08:33:03

I seem to remember that the follow on milk has got more iron in it as generally the baby will be drinking less milk at this stage as he is eating food too. I read all of the tins and went from there.

TheProvincialLady Mon 28-Jul-08 08:33:43

I bet the early waking is due to the heat. My DS is also sleeping badly. I don't think follow on formula would make the slightest difference TBH - there is not much difference in the composition, it just costs more!

Miaou Mon 28-Jul-08 08:42:33

Follow-on milk is a con. Keep him on formula and plenty of meals. The heat or a growth spurt is a far more likely explanation of his early waking (hard though it is!)

mamadiva Mon 28-Jul-08 09:00:28

My HV told me that follow on milk is a con to get round the ad ban. Although it is cheaper I wouldn't bother because there is no point in changing what you know if you don't have to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now