Talk

Advanced search

8 month old is self-weaning - how to up BM?

(7 Posts)
anonymxxx Sun 27-Jul-08 15:41:29

DS 8 month is BLW and loves to eat. I would like to BF until 1 yr at least, but he seems to be self-weaning. He has a good drink night and morning, but during the day (9am, 12am and 4:30pm) he only sips (even if in quiet room with no distraction which is not always a given) and pulls away. He then wolves down his solids which he really enjoys. Any tips on how to prolong BF or is two times a day sufficient at this age?

Shall I restrict his solids (which I kind of already do)? Could it be that the milk does not come fast enough (no supply problem, but it takes some time, i.e. 5min, to finish a breast)

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dawnie6577 Sun 27-Jul-08 18:54:04

Hi,
I would also be interested to know this, as my 9 month old seems to be doing the same. He is half formula/half breast now, but I am trying to make sure he is having milky cereal, rice pudding, cheese sauce type food each day, just in case he isn't having enough.
Sorry I can't help, but I will read other thoughts with interest!

OonaghBhuna Sun 27-Jul-08 21:09:07

I wouldnt restrict solids, they contain essential nutrients and vitamins, these are more important for him now.

However not sure on what to advise for the BF, as I had a similar problem with dd1. She snacked on the breastmilk and this seemed to be enough, to keep it going.

beansprout Sun 27-Jul-08 21:15:49

BM works on supply and demand so as long as your baby needs milk, it will be there.

As I understand it, exc b/fed babies are v good at regulating their intake so he will take what he needs. Two big feeds a day is enough to keep things going. How long has he be doing this?

beansprout Sun 27-Jul-08 21:16:18

Wouldn't say that food is more important for him though, this is not the case until they are about a year old.

anonymxxx Mon 28-Jul-08 05:03:02

Thanks for your replies!
DS has been doing this for about a week. I wouldn't say it's a strike, since he is not opposed to latching on, just pulls off very fast. I then encourage him to latch one again for about three, max four times, and then just let him go, since I do not want to "force" him and built negative associations.
Will make sure I offer him BF before food as often as possible and otherwise go with the flow.
I think he would eat at night, but we have night-weaned (12pm-5am) him during the last two months and wouldn't want to go back if not necessary.

electricluluarella Mon 28-Jul-08 05:11:56

maybe he is getting what he needs from his two main feeds and his little snacks in between?

as beansprout has said, food is not that important until age one, do you offer breast before food?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now