Talk

Advanced search

urgent help needed - BF councillors Northern Ireland

(8 Posts)
highlander Tue 08-Feb-05 22:52:15

DH's cousin had an awful time recently (see 'Breast is best is crap' thread). DH is back home visiting at the mo' and his cousin is trying to re-lactate. He's told her to express every 2 hours to get things going. He wasn't aware that I sent Mears' mate's book through Amazon. The time difference plus babies etc means it's very difficult for me to speak to her (I'm in Canada).

I think the best plan is to get her to see a BF consultant - anyone know one? Preferably around Ballymena in Co. Antrim.

Many, many thanks in advance.

trefusis Tue 08-Feb-05 22:55:19

Message withdrawn

Fran1 Tue 08-Feb-05 22:55:34

No but tell her to ring the local hospital, all hospitals around me (London) have one so hopefully they do in Ireland too.

Failing that i think the NCT have a 24 hr helpline, not sure if they actually come out but could be worth ringing.

highlander Tue 08-Feb-05 23:00:08

perfect trefusis!

thanks!

tiktok Tue 08-Feb-05 23:39:34

NCT's breastfeeding line is not 24 hours - it's 8 am to 10 pm.

0870 444 8708

We do cover Norethern Ireland, and she will get an answer to her call.

I don't know if we have anyone who is near enough to visit.

Relactating is far from impossible for her - she is a new mum (I remember the thread) and if she is well-motivated and supported she should do it. Expressing every 2 hours is ok, but she would do better just sticking the baby on as often as poss if the baby is still happy to bf.

Bless your dh giving her help

Millie1 Fri 11-Feb-05 20:54:16

Highlander ... another alternative is La Leche League. They put me in contact with a LC around the Ballymena area - she was absolutely lovely. I'm not sure if she's still doing it as that was about 2/3 years ago but if she rings their helpline (0845 120 2918) I'm sure they'll put her through to someone. I read your other thread and felt so sorry for her ... she should be able to do it and hopefully we'll see an update from you soon.

BTW - her Health Visitor should also be able to put her in touch with someone but if there's any way she could get someone close by who would spend time with her it would be fantastic.

Oh, here's the link from their website about the East Antrim Group - Meg is the lady I spoke to.

\link{http://www.laleche.org.uk/pages/groups/ireland.htm}

highlander Sat 12-Feb-05 05:13:10

fantastic Millie! Thank-you so much.

pparently the baby is latching on OK. DH went to see her and she's totally pissed off with making bottles so she's determined to make BF work.

Millie1 Sat 12-Feb-05 21:10:40

Highlander - that's brilliant. I'm sure that if she latches the little one on often her supply will soon meet the baby's needs. Tell her good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now