Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

16 week old baby struggling at breast

(15 Posts)
starkadder Fri 25-Jul-08 19:20:09

This is very similar to another post I've just seen. Tiktok replied to that saying it could be a number of things and to call the bf helplines - which is a very sensible answer but I'm hoping maybe someone can help me on MN as I live in Spain and can't call the UK bf helplines (I don't think?).

My baby is 16 weeks old and has been exclusively bf. He's fine and healthy, very happy, but today a couple of times he has struggled and made a fuss when feeding. however, when I gave him a bottle of EBM he drank it all and has now gone to bed without much fuss (yet, fingers crossed...)

I don't think it is:

-wind (I burped him)
-something strange I ate (I haven't eaten anything different)
-new soap or anything I washed with (nothing new)
-nipple confusion (he has had a dummy for weeks and weeks and has had EBM a fair few times but never a problem at all)

Any ideas?? Please help if possible!!

thisisyesterday Fri 25-Jul-08 19:32:02

he could be teething

what else was going on while you were feeding? sometimes they get quite distracted

fourlittlefeet Fri 25-Jul-08 19:36:56

I don't think you should worry until its happened continuously for a few feeds. DD got very fickle between 4 and 6 months, doing this sort of swimming thing where she'd bob on and off the breast. In the end it was sometimes wind (she'd get air at the beginning) and sometimes dis-interest; she changed her feeding patterns at this time. you could try a breast feeding necklace, or something if it is distraction.

I found it really hard to cope with at the time!

starkadder Fri 25-Jul-08 19:38:09

ohhh maybe he is teething. would this make a difference? Would it mean he'd be happier feeding from a bottle rather than the breast? It was quite upsetting as until today pretty much any problem could be solved by sticking my boob in his mouth.

Teething...he has been dribbling loads recently.

Nothing else much going on and I put a muslin over his head (always do this at night feed as he does get a bit excited about looking at the..um..wall..otherwise) so I don't think he was distracted.

starkadder Fri 25-Jul-08 19:41:25

ALSO he has just gone to sleep all by himself for the second time in his life (normally takes a few minutes of dummy). Left him in his bed, grinning and gurgling after his bottle, came back 10 mins later and he was asleep (albeit wriggled half way up the cot and out of the sheet...). So maybe he is going through a bit of a developmental thing?

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 19:43:35

DS2, 14 weeks.
Exactly the same, teething.
He has suddenly developed a preference
which he changes per feed.
Is he better if you change sides?

starkadder Fri 25-Jul-08 19:47:46

Thanks fourlittlefeet :-)
VS - thanks too - he does - prefers left side to right for some reason. Is this a symptom of teething as well??

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 19:51:22

No idea, I just know that DS2 keeps getting fretful at the breast (he is teething for sure) and if I change him over (to whichever side he isn't on) he seems to take it better.

fourlittlefeet Fri 25-Jul-08 19:53:38

my let down was stronger on the left, and when I pumped, I used to get more from that breast. still BF'ing 14 month old and think of that as my fuller breast so give it first. weird.

starkadder Sat 26-Jul-08 18:26:24

thanks all. He seems better today (fingers crossed) although had a bit of a weird screaming moment this afternoon which maybe endorses the teething theory.

weeamoomoo Sun 27-Jul-08 11:33:24

am having similar problems with my 4 month DD. if i try and put her on my left side she arches her back and screams. all very well putting her on the right side but then i end up with giant sore left boob leaking all over bed. am very worried too. am worried if i express from left side and give it to her in a bottle she will go off the breast alltogether.

Pollyanna Sun 27-Jul-08 11:43:25

my 15 week old ds is the same atm - and he prefers one side too.

(my chiropractor says a preference for one side could mean the baby has some issues with neck/neck ache but I don't know if this is true smile)

MrsJamin Sun 27-Jul-08 12:33:13

My DS was just like this and got teeth a couple of weeks later, similarly he took a bottle of EBM but not me, try calpol and/or bonjela before feeding.

weeamoomoo Sun 27-Jul-08 19:38:57

i spoke to a breastfeeding support person later today who gave me really good positioning advice which has worked so far. i got the no. off a link on another thread.

MrsJamin Sun 27-Jul-08 20:48:11

fab that you got some help hope it lasts for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now