Talk

Advanced search

Pain getting worse, is it time to stop?

(10 Posts)
EffiePerine Fri 25-Jul-08 09:13:30

Currently bfing DS (21 mo) once a day at bedtime. Also 17 weeks pg, but didn't want to stop until he was ready, having already cut down on feeds. But is is v v painful (sorry, have whinged about this before) and seems to be getting worse not better, one book seems to be sore all the time and feeding last night was awful. Is it time to stop and have a bit of a break before no. 2 comes along? I wanted to feed DS till he was 2 and feel a bit of a wuss...

Also, could it be something other than pg? Was thinking about thrush - if it is, can I self-medicate? Don't want to go to GP as all they seem to say is stop feeding as you are pg

EffiePerine Fri 25-Jul-08 09:13:53

boob not book!

idontbelieveit Fri 25-Jul-08 09:23:01

i have the same, am really sore feeding my 25 month old dd while 12 weeks pg. She's teething as well at the mo which seems to make things worse. my left boob is agony sad No advice but wanted you to know I know how you feel.
Will watch for advice with interest.

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 09:34:38

Where does it hurt? If it's thrush you may be able to see white spots in DS's mouth, your nipple could be bright pink (thrush doesn't always have the same or all symptoms).
Try calling the BfN is you need advice on self-medicating, they have a drugline number so can advise what you can take whilst BFing and probably know about what you can take whilst being pg too.
The phone number is on here

EffiePerine Fri 25-Jul-08 09:35:54

no white spots I can see in DS's mouth (had a good look). If anything, nipple is darker than normal but that could be pg confusing things.

EffiePerine Fri 25-Jul-08 09:37:01

the pain is in the nipple but also shooting pains into the breast and very sore! One is def worse than the other, but he tends to favour that side anyway so may be a frequency thing.

Thanks for the BfN number - will try them when not at work wink

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 09:43:12

The shooting pains when are they? During/before or after feeding?

EffiePerine Fri 25-Jul-08 09:45:10

during and after (still sore now the next day!)

binged a bit of canestan on it last night (as I had some to hand) but haven;t noticed any improvement

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 09:51:29

If you look here I've linked some stuff about thrush.
IME it takes more than one lot of canesten to do anything, thrush is a persistent bugger!

Can you feel any lumps in your breast? are there and red marks?

EffiePerine Fri 25-Jul-08 09:53:20

lumps a but tricky as they're pretty lumpy normally

no red marks

Thanks for the info, will have a good look

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now