Talk

Advanced search

Left breast really sore, thrush? Don't know what to do

(21 Posts)
cazee Thu 24-Jul-08 23:56:13

My left breast is really sore, and it hurt to feed (this only came on today). DD seems vety unsettled too in the night. I phoned GP, but they were closing, receptionist suggested Sainsbury's chemist. I got some Daktarin oral gel for DD (18 months), and some Daktarin Aktiv cream - but it just says for athlete's foot - no mention of thrush. Is this the right cream to use?(Miconazole Nitrate 2% w/w. Any advice much appreciated.)

cazee Fri 25-Jul-08 07:19:42

Bump
I am going to the GP, but I am worried she will not know much about this, so it would be really helpful to know what to ask her to pescribe.
My left breast is sore when I walk, and sore to the touch.
Anyone who has had thrush, it would be brilliant to know what you used to clear it.
Searching the archives is not as easy as you might think, I have tried twice! I am feeling rubbish at the moment (non-related, psyco-symatic issue), so find it difficult to focus.
Thanks ladies

cazee Fri 25-Jul-08 07:30:09

Just gooling thrush and it all seems to refer to nipple pain. I have breast pain more than nipple pain, does that sound like thrush?
DD was definately in pain last night, pawing at her mouth too. That is what makes me think thrush

misscathcart Fri 25-Jul-08 07:59:48

I don't know about thrush but is there a chance it could be a blocked milk duct cazee?
Although I know this wouldn't explain dd's discomfort...
just a thought. Hope you get it sorted.

cazee Fri 25-Jul-08 08:09:26

Thanks misscathcart, I wondered about that too.
I have a 10.15 with the minor illness nurse, so the more info I take with me the better.

misscathcart Fri 25-Jul-08 08:28:35

does it feel kind of hard and a bit lumpy in places?
and is the milk flow as normal or a little bit interupted?

cazee Fri 25-Jul-08 08:34:31

I don't think it feels lumpy, just sore all over ( a little like when your milk first comes in, that swolen sore feeling).

misscathcart Fri 25-Jul-08 08:37:48

is the milk flow a little restricted?
I don't anything about thrush so it may be that but I had a blocked duct several times and it was always very sore and hard but you xan feel the blocked duct become very hard after a while. i used to massage in a hot bath to ease it through. I'm sure you'll get it sorted at the docs - good luck!

hedgehog1979 Fri 25-Jul-08 09:08:34

Is the pain just when you are feeding or do you get another pain afterwards - maybe up to 20 mins after feeding?

I was diagnosed with 'deep' thrush which is a sore nipple but also a pain after feeding deep in the breast.

Make sure that they pescribe something for you and for DD as otherwise you will pass it back and forth between you, and dd may infect the other boob even if she has no symptoms

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 09:18:47

Does DD have white spots in her mouth?
Is the nipple bright pink?
Is your breast at all red anywhere?
I've had thrush, mastitis, blocked ducts etc so may be able to help diagnosegrin

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 09:22:41

thrush
If it is thrush and you need to use gel on yourself read this
mastitis
The best peopel to call before you go to the GP to get an idea of what it is are the BfN call them on 0844 412 4664

snooks Fri 25-Jul-08 09:23:35

Ive had 2 blocked ducts (one each side) in the last 12 weeks. Both came on v. suddenly, felt bruised, had a red patch, incredibly sore to touch. Advice:

keep feeding as much as poss
express if poss
warm bath/shower
cabbage leaf in bra

hope that helps if diagnosed, sorry im typing fast, both dc desperate for attention but i know how sore it is! Goods luck

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 09:29:44

Also if it's a blocked duct it's worth going through the pain of actually massaging the breast, it can be painful but imagine a plug of milk stuck in a straw and how you would massage it to get it loose, and do that.

Blocked ducts are painful, but if they turn into mastitis it's much worse.

cazee Fri 25-Jul-08 11:30:50

Well, the minor illness nurse thinks it is mastitis. She saw that the breast was red with red lines. I think it is probably a blocked duckt, not yet mastitis, as it is sore, but not as sore as mastitis seems to be, and there is no pus, and it only came on yesterday lunchtime.
She has given me antibiotics, do you wise ladies think I should take them? Or just feed, massage...

cazee Fri 25-Jul-08 11:36:37

duct not duckt!

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 11:50:09

Well, ultimately it's up to you.
Personally I'd try massage etc and if it wasn't gone in about 12 hours take the Anti-B's.

I had to take Anti-B's the other week and DS wasn't really affected by it much.

cazee Fri 25-Jul-08 11:52:02

Thanks so much, I worry that the anti bs will lead to thrush, as they allow the yeast to grow.
I think I will do what you suggest, feed and massage, if still sore in the morning I may have to take them.

VictorianSqualor Fri 25-Jul-08 11:57:29

If it's early stage mastitis and not actually infected you won't need the Anti-b's.
How do you feel in yourself? At all flu-like?

cazee Fri 25-Jul-08 12:40:18

I don't feel brilliant, but that is, I think, unrelated. I have a tendency to get psyco-symatic(sp?) ailments, and then I don't feel well. (long story, currently my breathing/chest is funny, also feel a bit light headed) I thought I had beaten all this as I had seen a psycologist but apparently not. Still, never mind, if I get the blocked duct sorted that will cheer me up a lot!
I do think it is a blocked duct, it is red, with red lines, and much more sore in one place.
Thanks so much for all your help.

snooks Fri 25-Jul-08 13:38:12

cazee if it is a blocked duct (sounds like it is but i don't like to diagnose smile) then if you do the things mentioned on the thread below you should see a marked improvement within 12-24 hours (I always did).

Hope you feel better for the weekend.

cazee Fri 25-Jul-08 17:19:51

Thanks snooks, I am feeding often and massaging. I tried to express but didn't get much. Will try agin in the bath later tonight.
The more I think about it the more I am sure it is not infected, so anti bs would be no use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now