Talk

Advanced search

can you use shields if nipples bleeding?

(8 Posts)
Lib76 Thu 24-Jul-08 20:57:56

just when i thought things were improving! DS was feeding perfectly this pm and when he came off...blood everywhere! thought i had treated cracks well and was started on fluconazole for thrush! the poor wee man has got dark nappies and vommited blood (again!) he is totally settled, unlike his mum! going to have to give him bottles tonight as both sides are now bleeding! i am totally gutted.

my sister suggested shields, is this worth a go?

CountTo10 Thu 24-Jul-08 21:00:21

I used shields with ds1 as my nipples were bleeding and they did work although you do need to persevere with them. Just make sure you sterelise them after each use. Sorry to hear you're having such a rough time of it, hope things improve.

Lib76 Thu 24-Jul-08 21:02:19

thanks for advice countTo10! i will go to shops in am. i really don't want to give up BF.

ten10 Thu 24-Jul-08 21:10:02

I also used shields and was warned off them by the HV because she said that it would cause nipple confusion,

but they didn't and it got me through a very painful time, once my nipples were better i got stopped with the shields and he happily went back to my nipples

I would try them if i were you, i was so glad that i did

Lib76 Thu 24-Jul-08 21:11:45

thanks so much ten10, i will give anything a go rather than giving it up! it breaks my heart to think i can't feed him again!

ten10 Thu 24-Jul-08 21:22:44

i am sure that things will get better, and it will be worth it

violeta Thu 24-Jul-08 21:32:31

Best not to use them too long if you can avoid it - I used them very early on for the same reason and they had a drastic impact on my supply. That doesn't happen to everyone though, as far as I can gather.

Lib76 Thu 24-Jul-08 21:41:59

thanks for warning. only plan to use them until healed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now