Talk

Advanced search

side effects of fluclonazole in BF babies?

(13 Posts)
Lib76 Wed 23-Jul-08 11:06:20

i am about to start fluclonazole and was wondering if anyone experienced any side effects in BF baby? i think that diarrhoea would be expected?

skidaddle Wed 23-Jul-08 12:00:59

Hi Lib76 - I took fluconozole when DS was about 3 weeks and it didn't seem to have any effect except make his poo orange for a few days - worked a treat as well. you should be fine

springerspaniel Wed 23-Jul-08 14:17:56

Yip. I had same as last poster.

Lib76 Wed 23-Jul-08 18:43:28

thanks girls, fingers crossed it works! i went into my work today ( im a nurse with GPs) and one of the female gp's said she didn't believe in nipple thrush!!! i was furious! she also said she would be unwilling to prescribe fluconazole! she said that your boobs are supposed to be sore when feeding!! couldn't beleive my ears!!

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest!!

kazbeth Wed 23-Jul-08 19:43:26

I had no noticeable side effects. No changes in poo at all.

MrsAlwaysRight Wed 23-Jul-08 22:31:56

I didn't notice any changes in my DD while taking it. Not suprised that GP said that. There does seem to be a lot of ignorance surrounding thrush, my HV didn't believe you can get it in your milk ducts!

Lib76 Thu 24-Jul-08 07:32:36

yeh it's amazing the reaction! they wouldn't be saying that if they had every had it!!

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 07:39:43

the amount of fluconazole that gets through in your breastmilk is less than the amount that is licensed for prescribing orally to babies so there should be no side effects really, unless your LO has a reaction to it.

but shock at the GP where you work. I would report her to your practice manager as she obviously needs some training in the mechanics of BFing, and fungal infections (if you can get them in your toenails why would nipples be exempt?)

Can't remember who it is, some bigiwg American BFing guru, says that ductal thrush doesn't exist and that the pain is caused by some other BFing issue....if that's the case why did my symptoms improve after a 10 day dose of fluconazole?

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 07:40:47

oh, american bigwig BFing guru happens to be a man!!

lib, maybe you can arrange some training sessions for your GPs wink

tiktok Thu 24-Jul-08 09:03:19

There is some discussion about whether nipple thrush exists or not - we should always remain open to new knowledge and not get fixed ideas IIRC, it was Dr Tom Hale who is sceptical about thrush, and well, he may be a man, but it's crazy to discount what he says just because of that....many leading bf researchers and medics are, indeed, of the masculine persuasion

The solid research on nipple and breast thrush is actually quite thin, especially with regard to thrush in the ducts. Many people do improve after treatment, but the body gets better by itself after many illnesses - just been hearing on the radio that is one of the bugbears with antibiotics, which people take when they don't need them, get better, and give the antibiotics the credit!

Personally, I used to think thrush was common. Now, I think if it exists it is prob less common than I thought - some women's pain improves with careful amendments to their positioning, and yet they have had people telling them 'it must be thrush'.

I don't believe that breastfeeding is supposed to hurt, though!

LackaDAISYcal Thu 24-Jul-08 12:26:40

oops at dissing him tiktok blush.

Having had thrush (for nearly six months) I would definately say it exists. Whatever was wrong with me only cleared up after three courses of fluconazole (it kept coming back inbetween doses) and me being really strict with hygiene and treating DD at the same time in conjunction with the final dose; DD had thrush in her mouth and I had sore tingly itchy nipples with fluffy white patches on them, as well as the deep breast pain.

However I do concur that it should only be considered a problem after paying close attention to positioning and latch and ruling those out first.

tiktok Thu 24-Jul-08 13:08:57

Daisy, I have seen apparently clear-cut cases of thrush, and been pretty sure that's what they are.

But I could be wrong

kazbeth Thu 24-Jul-08 14:49:45

omg, don't tell me that. If it was something else that could have been cured easily I'd be gutted as I struggled on with it for months. It's the only thing that really frightens me about trying bf next time. Most of the pain I had was after the feed - i used to have to hand my baby over to someone else or put her down as it was just too painful to even hold her.

Is there research going on into this does anyone know? (sorry for taking thread off on a tangent)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now