Talk

Advanced search

quick one - does anemia impact supply?

(7 Posts)
babyOcho Tue 22-Jul-08 20:53:33

Subject says it all really.

Does anemia impact supply in the early days (2 week old)?

thisisyesterday Tue 22-Jul-08 20:58:39

yes, it can

FeelingDeviant Tue 22-Jul-08 21:15:23

Any idea what can be done about it?
BabyOcho and I are sisters - our elder sister has a newborn and is mix feeding.
We want to encourage her to exclusively breastfeed.

thisisyesterday Wed 23-Jul-08 11:54:45

yes, I'm often anaemic, esp in pregnancy and straight after birth and the best thing I have taken is spatone. you can buy it in boots or supermarkets and it's little sachets of iron rich water, you can mix it into orange juice (vit C makes your body absorb the iron better)

because it's water soluble you don't tend to get constipation as you would with iron tablets, so it's worth paying for IMO.

the other thing is oats. they can help boost supply and I think are a good source of iron too

thisisyesterday Wed 23-Jul-08 12:01:39

btw, this early on, if she is replacing breastfeeds with formula that can also impact on her supply.
if she wants to breastfeed exclusively then she needs to feed as often as possible to increase her supply.
every bottle of formula she gives is like saying to her boobs, hmmm you don't need to make so much milk. whereas every time baby feeds, regardless of how much she takes, the message being sent is milk needed!!! make more!

e14mum Wed 23-Jul-08 13:20:48

It did for me, but there is not a lot of research done on it and it doesn't for everyone.

babyOcho Wed 23-Jul-08 16:32:06

I wish I had known about spatone, the iron tablets caused me so many probs. Goodness, it was the worse thing that i have ever endured! I shall let my sister know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now