Talk

Advanced search

Exclusively bf ds (5 days!) this time. Questions...

(5 Posts)
Umlellala Tue 22-Jul-08 11:09:00

I mixed fed dd (now 2) but really wanted to try and bf ds. So far, (I know it's only 5 days, feels like ages wink) it's going well, latch good, sucking well, mastering bf walking around... but I have questions!

1. My milk has come in now, how long til my boobs 'settle' to their nursing size?

2. ds wants to suck/feed pretty much all the time. I don't mind this but should I worry about overfeeding?

3. Loads of pooey nappies!! Is this to be expected?

Oops, in laws here... will ask more later! Thanks

MrsBadger Tue 22-Jul-08 11:17:23

1. Give it a week at least - it might be much longer. The Bravado-type bras that span several sizes are pretty good.
2. Don't worry re overfeeding - she's getting cuddles and comfort and security as well as milk at every bf - it's not all about eating. Bfing walking around is a good skill to have, well done grin
3. Normal! it gets better eventually.

tiktok Tue 22-Jul-08 11:52:07

Umlella - the loads of pooey nappies is a welcome sign that your breastfeeding is going well

Umlellala Thu 24-Jul-08 14:18:57

Thanks for your replies! I am loving my breasts at the moment and the way they magically soothe ds when he is crying grin

Next question: Given ds continuing to breastfeed well, when do you think an occasional bottle (ie so dh can feed him if I am not there) can be introduced?

Also, I have v leaky boobs and milk everywhere!! Any tips?

Thanks again

tiktok Thu 24-Jul-08 14:24:09

Glad things are going well

Leaking is normal and it will get better over time - some v. unlucky people fnd it's a nuisance for a long time, but most people don't. Obv. breastpads help.

No rush to give a bottle of formula or expressed - really. Opinions and experience differ and if you check archives you'll see this.

You have enough to cope with at the moment - new baby and a toddler and getting bf going. My personal feeling (and experience) is that by the time you feel you can fit in expressing for a bottle, the baby is able to manage a spell away from you between feeds. Missing feeds while someone else gives a bottle is also potentially v uncomfortable for you.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now