Advanced search

Breastfeeding Help!

(16 Posts)
Becky77 Mon 21-Jul-08 18:48:21

Hi there,

My baby is almost 6 weeks and from the start breastfeeding has been a problem. To start with she had real trouble latching on at all and would fuss and cry for ages before finally getting it... Now she latches on fine but my nipples are massacred! I've been to a breastfeeding support group and been advised to change my positioning but still the nipples won't heal...

I have taken to expressing one boob and still feeding from the other so that one can heal and I'm using NUK wide necked teats. Now it takes her forever to drink 2ozs from the bottle and when she's on the boob she clicks or slips down onto the nipple but she will feed for a good 20 minutes before slipping.

Do you think she has nipple confusion or perhaps a high palate? I'm at my wits end!

tiktok Mon 21-Jul-08 19:02:32

Becky - I think you need more expert assessment than is sometimes found at a bf support group. I can't tell what's up from your description but if I was looking at you and your baby I'd look for tongue tie, watch how she takes the nipple, look at the type of soreness, ask how it feels, suggest you used a good healing agent on the soreness. So your next step is to find someone else who is really experienced and knowledgable to observe.

Good luck.

Ineedsomesleep Mon 21-Jul-08 20:16:57

Is there any local bfing counsellors you could contact?

Becky77 Mon 21-Jul-08 20:39:08

I've been going to a breastfeeding support group since she was 1 week... I'll go again this week and see if they can offer any new insight but they seem to think everything is OK with the positioning and latching... This is why I'm now thinking it may be her palate... I don't think she has a tongue tie. It's just so frustrating... Thanks anyway for your responses blush

Becky77 Mon 21-Jul-08 20:40:24

Tiktok - where would I find someone more knowledgeable to observe?

IorekByrnison Mon 21-Jul-08 21:43:32

Becky, sorry you're having such a hard time - it is the most awful feeling (I had a bad start too). You will get through it though. Here is a link to some breastfeeding support lines (on the right hand side of the page). Give them a call in the morning and someone should be able to come out and see you.

hellymelly Mon 21-Jul-08 21:55:25

I paid to see a private breastfeeding counsellor who came to see me at home and it was the best money we spent on the baby as she was fantastic.My baby had a slight tongue tie and feeding was hellishly painful but we got there,and she fed until she was 2 and a quarter.If you can afford it then get to see someone who will spend time working out what the problem is.I think it was about £70 for a visit and I had three,but this was London so I imagine it varies.We didn't buy anything much for the baby apart from this and I don't know if I would have managed without the help.I feel for you as I know how horrendous it can be but you will get through it I am sure and then it is so easy!Good luck to you and your weeny x

Ineedsomesleep Tue 22-Jul-08 06:36:01

Paying for a bfing counsellor is fine if you have to but you shouldn't have to. If you are paying, please check their credentials, there are a couple of women around here that offer "breastfeeding help" at a price and haven't had a day of training, never mind doing the diploma in breasfeeding.

Pixiefish Tue 22-Jul-08 07:33:47

lactation consultants here

harpsichordcarrier Tue 22-Jul-08 08:03:14

whereabouts are you Becky? maybe someone can recommend somewhere or someone
I agree you should get some more top level help.
have you had the tongue tie checked out?

Becky77 Tue 22-Jul-08 10:37:38

Hi there, I'm in Tottenham in North London. I haven't had the tongue tie checked out but she does seem to be able to stick her tongue out OK? I have my 6 week check up on Thursday I wonder if my GP will be able to tell me... Or refer me to someone who can?

WilfSell Tue 22-Jul-08 10:44:18

There must be someone from the NCT, ABM or LLL in North London! Ring one of the lines on the page linked to and check with them before you pay someone... You maternity unit may even have a BF specialist - ring them and ask...

Good luck - I hope you get it sorted...

IorekByrnison Tue 22-Jul-08 10:50:05

Hi Becky, I wouldn't rely on your GP to know - it's just too specialised for most of them, but as you say they may be able to refer you to someone, so I would definitely talk to them about it and push for a referral.

I would really recommend calling the NCT or LLL helpline in the meantime - your situation is just what they are there for. It sounds as though you need someone with specialist knowledge to come out and sit with you while you feed to diagnose the problem and find a solution.

Becky77 Tue 22-Jul-08 12:22:43

I've been on the phone to LLL and now have a number for someone near me *fingers crossed she'll come see me*

TinkerBellesMum Tue 22-Jul-08 12:28:02

I don't know London that well, but here is a list of groups you could see if one is near you. They're normally run from surgeries or hospitals and have trained HVs, MWs or LCs running them.

Becky77 Tue 22-Jul-08 12:41:15

Thanks Tinks... It's one of these groups that I already go to

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: