Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take a 3 week old to feed of breast?

(9 Posts)
mads1 Mon 21-Jul-08 16:12:43

My dd2 who is 3 weeks and 4 days today, use to take 20 mins to finish one breast!! I checked with MW if this is possible and she believes it is. But since yesterday, dd2 is taking 10 mins and then falling asleep. I try for 20 mins to wake her but fail. She goes between 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours when she's had short feeds. Use to be able to go upto 3 hours (especially before she had her growth spurt).

My concern is that she's not getting the hind milk and stays awake during the nights to tank up - she's always ate and then gone straight back to sleep since day one! But surely she should be having more awake time now?

Is 10 mins possible for her to feed?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 16:19:48

Message withdrawn

mads1 Mon 21-Jul-08 16:23:32

Thank you for your response xx

But she falls asleep after 10 mins and therefore I can't seem to get her to try more from the original breast or the other!!! What can I do!!!?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 16:38:53

Message withdrawn

mads1 Mon 21-Jul-08 22:10:21

bump

HolidaysQueen Tue 22-Jul-08 10:23:56

My DS would do something similar - fall asleep after the first breast. Taking his socks off, stripping his babygro off etc. helped a little but in the end I found that if I put him on his mat on the floor, i.e. not cuddled and cosy, then he'd wake up sufficiently after maybe 10-15 mins to feed again and I'd give him the second breast then. I ended up where he would feed for 15 mins, doze for 15 mins and then feed for another 15 mins. He stopped being so dozy during feeds at around 5-6 weeks IIRC.

Zebraa Tue 22-Jul-08 10:38:09

Try swapping her over sooner?

williamsmummy Tue 22-Jul-08 14:20:01

sounds normal behaviour to me. relax, as long as waking up to be fed, feed .
she will wake at night to feed, as feeding is over 24 hours.

encourage to feed, but dont stress, just relax and when awake feed her.
this pattern is short term and will change as she gains weight.

sometimes things are more simple than you realise.

just relax, and go with the flo.

mads1 Tue 22-Jul-08 15:07:56

wow, mums to the rescue again! It always sounds less stressful when u hear a few supporting words from other mums!
Thank you all. I will try and relax. I guess there is no harm in letting her have a 15 min nap between breasts. Xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now