Talk

Advanced search

Confused about beakers, dropping feeds etc etc

(6 Posts)
Scubes Mon 21-Jul-08 07:42:38

LO is about to turn 1. She has 3 formula feeds at 7, 2 and 7, they are all 7oz bottles but she doesn't always finish them.

How much milk does she need at the age of 1?

Am trying to get her to drink morning milk out of a beaker but she is not keen, I am persisting and I suppose she drinks about half. I don't want to put rest in bottle as I think it gives her wrong message (horrible mummy!) As she still has her 2pm feed I feel it doesn't matter and she can have rest with her breakfast.

When should I drop the 2pm feed and when should the other feeds be dropped as well? I know it varies but any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for all the questions, can't seem to find any guidelines.

Thanks.

MrsBadger Mon 21-Jul-08 08:51:11

I am having a similar dilemma (although with ebm) so will watch this thread with interest

Scubes Mon 21-Jul-08 09:18:51

Am bumping this as there's 2 of us confused mummies out here!

FeelingDeviant Mon 21-Jul-08 11:51:13

Why would you want to drop feeds if your DD is still interested? I'm only asking because, like you, I was always under the impression that you were supposed to drop feeds.

However, when DD started nursery I noticed all the under-2s had afternoon milk when they woke from naps. Nobody has a bottle, they all have a little carton of milk (183ml) which they suck with straws (like juice cartons).

DD at 12 months (she still does this at almost 14 months) has huge morning bf, then about 9oz of milk over cereal and as drink from doidy cup, afternoon bf or milk from carton, bedtime bf.

I now can't be bothered to worry about DD's milk intake; I just give her as much as she wants, and if she doesn't want, I don;t care.
BTW - I don't think you're a bad mummy for not giving your DD a bottle.

MrsBadger Mon 21-Jul-08 17:28:47

on my part it is because I plan to stop expressing at some point

I guess her three ebm bottles (midmorning, after lunch and mid-afternoon) will be replaced with milk in a cup/beaker/carton as you describe, but I thought I'd better start thinking about it in case nursery ask what my plans are...

Scubes Mon 21-Jul-08 18:27:09

Thanks FD, not sure if DD is still interested or just mucking around - she kicks off about the beaker but I know if it was in the bottle she would drink it.

Have been advised that a 1yr old needs 12-16oz a day so DD is actually getting more than that so maybe she is ready to stop the afternoon feed.

We moving to cows milk next week so perhaps that;s a good time to stop?

Have a cupboard full of beakers that we have tried and am keen to get her to move away from bottle. Ho hum.

MrsB hats off to still expressing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now