loader

Talk

Advanced search

Measuring how much breastmilk your baby takes - some tips

(35 Posts)
hunkermunker Sun 20-Jul-08 23:48:56

Fill this with water

Dip your breast in.

Whatever water is subsequently displaced will be a mere fraction of the volume of bollocks you're likely to hear from people about how much milk your baby's getting at any one feed.

HTH.

PS don't actually do this. Eat some chocolate instead

Other snacks are available.

bluenosesaint Sun 20-Jul-08 23:49:48

grin

stitch Sun 20-Jul-08 23:50:54

i was going to write 'dont'
but you have beaten me with a much more interesting quote. smile

S1ur Sun 20-Jul-08 23:57:28

heh, can I therefore recommend the balloon measuring method? You blow up 3 balloons to the approx size of your boobs and then rub on your hair for 30 seconds. After this stick balloons on ceiling. When they fall down is an acurate indication of whether your baby will sleep through by 6 weeks.

S1ur Sun 20-Jul-08 23:58:51

3 balooons???? That would be a typo. No, 2 balloons. I am not a fraek. Honest.

<hides extra nork under cushion> grin

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 21-Jul-08 00:01:13

Message withdrawn

Hannah81 Mon 21-Jul-08 00:13:56

I got an amusing comment once - you shouldn't bf cos you don't know how much they are getting - WTF???
So what did they do before bottles????
How ever did they manage?????
x

Hannah81 Mon 21-Jul-08 00:15:05

Maybe you could weigh them before and after - the boobs not the baby - well ok maybe even the baby! maybe a little more accurate! lol

Sidge Mon 21-Jul-08 00:18:18

Oh don't be ridiculous.

There is a proper formula for calculating how much your baby is getting, you can see it here

Any mum that is really intent on successfully breastfeeding should make the effort to work it out.

grin

sallyforth Tue 22-Jul-08 21:50:02

Fantastic! grin

Can I dunk the HV in there instead?

KristinaM Tue 22-Jul-08 21:52:37

LOL

BouncingTurtle Tue 22-Jul-08 21:53:20

ROFL!

Shouldn't you weigh yourself before and after a feed?

sherbetdipdab Tue 22-Jul-08 21:59:25

God, my HV was obsessed with whether my DS was getting enough breastmilk.

When she was really pushing the top up with formula I told her as long as he wasn't screaming he was getting enough.

She actually told me to talk it over with DP as he would tell me what to do and could be more objective hmm He was there for her next visit and when she started he said 'I'm a doctor, he's fine, bye bye Mrs HV'

Sorry for the rant but it really annoys me, baby is content gaining weight but not following the charts in the little red book, so its formual milk time hmm Total rubbish

cmotdibbler Tue 22-Jul-08 22:04:43

Nice one grin

NotQuiteCockney Tue 22-Jul-08 22:06:54

It used to be normal to weigh babies before and after feeds. The whole thing is mindbogglingly stupid, isn't it.

Snaf Tue 22-Jul-08 22:08:25

Am so relieved to find this is your thread, munker <<wipes nervous sweat from brow>>

idontbelieveit Tue 22-Jul-08 22:15:01

grin

Essie3 Tue 22-Jul-08 22:19:54

Starlight I'm off to Dragon's Den with my patented flow-meter. If they reject that, I'll suggest my on/off crying switch.

TinkerBellesMum Tue 22-Jul-08 22:21:56

I thought this was going to be a serious thread!

I was once asked in A&E how much milk she'd had that day, I said "I don't know?" she said "isn't she bottlefed?" shock she did apologise and say they don't get many exbf babies - how sad.

Actually when Tink was about 6/7 weeks she got to 6lb 2oz and stopped growing, same weight for 4 weekly weigh-ins. One week she was weighed straight away and I fed her as we talked. The HV suggested reweighing her to see how much she took, sure enough she was 6lb 4oz. Then she weed hmm she was (you guessed it) 6lb 2oz! She pushed me to top up and I did once a day (I think) but she still didn't grow very fast, so I ended up having to put her on the body building diet (breastfeed every 2 hours, topped up and full feed twice a day) it wrecked my supply and took me until she was six months to be able to feed her without top ups and then I had to start her on solids.

sweetkitty Tue 22-Jul-08 22:23:47

grin

hey hunker I'm breastfeeding again and forgot how lovely it is to feed a newborn

KristinaM Tue 22-Jul-08 22:39:34

tinkerbellesmum - when i left hospital after having Ds2 i was told to bring him back the next day for a blood test. When i pointed out that i couldn't even carry him,let alone drive the four hour round trip hour less than 48 hours after a section, i was told that my DH should bring him instead.When i asked how Dh woudl feed him they were flumoxed

And they wonder why Bf rates are so low at this hospital

and befroe you ask, yes, it DOES have a baby friendly award

toddlerhip Tue 22-Jul-08 23:14:38

how sad sad. Send them this thread!

I keep being told up here that there's a move to do away with the charts and just look at how the baby looks and whether s/he's thriving. Anyway, the charts are for ffed babies aren't they. There are apparently some elusive bfed charts somewhere(WHO?)

TinkerBellesMum Wed 23-Jul-08 09:52:34

They're not just FF (if I understand right) they're done for all babies, following babies of FF, BF and different races who actually develop differently too. There is a BF chart and it's supposed to be more accurate with BF babies, you can download it from the WHO website.

The BF group I go to they plot weights on the chart but they don't pay much attention to it, they look at how baby is in them self, bracelets, soft spot etc. They're a HV and MW who have done a lot of training in BF and train our area of Birmingham. I've found you can always tell who they trained by their attitudes towards BF and BLW!

You have to wonder sometimes how they get their status, KristinaM.

toddlerhip Wed 23-Jul-08 10:56:39

what are the bracelets about?

TinkerBellesMum Wed 23-Jul-08 11:03:19

Have a look at a babies wrists, you'll see they have bracelets around it. They are one of the first indicators that a baby is losing weight (or mass) as they disappear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now