Talk

Advanced search

Periods returning when exclusively breastfeeding

(13 Posts)
Hannah81 Sun 20-Jul-08 22:15:34

I bled for 4 weeks after my son was born, then at 6wks had a period and he's now 11wks tomorrow and have just started to have another period. My DS2 is exclusively bf but he does sleep from about 11pm til about 8am (I know i'm very lucky! smile )

For almost three years now i have been having abnormal smears and am due for yet again another appointment in aug. could it be anything to do with this?

DS1 was also exclusively fed but they didn't return on him until he was about 5/6mths.

Anybody the same?

aGalChangedHerName Sun 20-Jul-08 22:17:02

My periods returned at 5/6 weeks and i was exclusivly bfing day and a lot at night . Happened with all 3 of my bd dc.

Is normal for some of us i think.

CarGirl Sun 20-Jul-08 22:18:28

with the first that I b/f my periods returned when I stopped around 5 months, with the next they returned at 6 weeks and continued monthly despite exclusive b/f, same again with the next one. Just unfortunate I guess!

littlelamb Sun 20-Jul-08 22:35:39

Yep, with dd they came back at about 6 weeks and ds turned 6 weeks today and I feel a bit like I might be about to start a period. I feel so cheated by the promise of months and months period free! Both of mine have been mammoth feeders as well, so I guess your body just does what it is going to do, regardless of how much you feed.

Hannah81 Sun 20-Jul-08 22:43:52

oh glad i'm not the only one - i was worried it might have been something to do with the abnormal smears - you've put my mind at rest - thankyou.

both my DS's have been big feeders, with HUGE weight gains - DS2 is now 11wks (tomorrow) and at 9wks he weighed a whopping 13lb 10oz! so no shortage of milk! It must mean that we are all meant to have more children wink.
x

bythepowerofgreyskull Sun 20-Jul-08 22:46:25

my periods returned as the gap between feeds became greater than 2-3 hours.

littlelamb Sun 20-Jul-08 22:48:01

Hannah, join the club! Ds was 8 pounds 9 at birth and last week was weighed (5 weeks) and was 11 pounds 9. I just wish the weight was coming off me as fast as it is going on him grin

Pannacotta Sun 20-Jul-08 22:50:28

My periods returned after 6 months (DS1) and 6/7 months (DS2), basically as soon as I offered solids.
Was bit gutted that they came back then, as had heard of lots of women not having periods for a year (am long term b-feeder)...

Hannah81 Sun 20-Jul-08 22:59:17

Little lamb, I wish the same as you - I just cant stop eating! I'm so hungry all the time!

littlelamb Sun 20-Jul-08 23:25:51

I have resentfully dragged out my exercise bike today and have spent all evening looking at it grin I know with dd I ate so much rubbish when I was breastfeeding that I actually put weight on blush and I really want to avoid that this time, but I do agree with the 9 months up 9 months down thing- last time I just couldn't lose weight until I stopped bf at 10 months, and then it all seemed to come off with no bother. And it is just wrong to diet when breastfeeding dontcha know wink

Hannah81 Mon 21-Jul-08 00:08:32

I bf DS for 15mths and like you it wasn't until i stopped that i lost the weight (all 4 and a half stone of it) I didn't put all that much on this time, so I only have about a stone and a half to lose now to get back to where i want to be which isn;'t quite so daunting, but still it's gone midnight and i'm just about to have an ice lolly before i head off to bed! blush

primigravida Mon 21-Jul-08 00:26:27

I've been breastfeeding for nine months now (exclusively for the first six months) and my periods still haven't come back yet. I was discussing this with a group of breastfeeding mothers recently and we were all different.

Notanexcitingname Mon 21-Jul-08 13:36:45

Mine returned at 16 week postpartum, (despite very frequent feeding). I was feeling diddled, but having read this thread, I'll feel a little less so!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now