Talk

Advanced search

Slight concerns over my milk supply, any comments please??

(7 Posts)
luckymummy74 Sat 19-Jul-08 22:52:26

My DD2 is 12 weeks old, and BF very well. She only feeds four times a day, sometimes 5 (DD1 was the same, not a very hungry baby), usually 6am, 12pm, 4pm, 8pm.

I sometimes give her a bottle of EBM, and if so, I then used to express or I would get full, sore boobs and leak. When I expresed after not feeding her, I could easily get 6oz out in ten mins or so.

The last 2 times I have tried to express (having not done so for a few weeks, since she's been on fewer feeds) I have been barely able to get half an oz shock!!

Therefore, I'm a just a bit worried that my supply is dwindling. DD2 is a VERY content baby, gaining very good weight (today she was mistaken for being 9 months old and she's not even 3 mths!!) and regularly sleeps thru the night from 8pm-6 or 7am. (Her sister did exactly the same!). During the day she happily goes at least 4, sometimes up to 6 hours in between feeds.

Should I be worried about my supply??

babyOcho Sat 19-Jul-08 22:55:58

Expressing is not the efficient as your baby. I wouldnt worry about it.
I expressed last Sat night and got about 30ml, just finished now and got 110ml.

luckymummy74 Sat 19-Jul-08 22:59:14

I'm not too concerned cos she is showing all signs of being a well fed baby, but it's a bit annoying cos I'm now unable to express milk to relpace the EBM that I've used from the freezer, and I only have 6 bags left!!!

ScaryHairy Sat 19-Jul-08 22:59:23

I wouldn't worry.
When I was bf my daughter, sometimes I could express 8oz out of one breast and other times was lucky to get an ounce in total from both. I reckon the more I stressed about it the worse it seemed to get.

Could you try expressing from one breast while she feeds on the other? That might help you get a bit more out if that's your aim.

luckymummy74 Sat 19-Jul-08 23:04:27

Yes I think I will have to go back to doing that Scary. I did it every day with DD1, but suprisingly hmm I don't have time to do it with DD2 (DD1 just turned 2!!!)
I'll give it a go in the morning as DH is off work.

Hannah81 Sat 19-Jul-08 23:12:14

I don't think you should be worried about your supply, it prob just means that your milk supply has adjusted to suit the demands of your baby. If you do want to increase your supply, just put your baby to the breast more often, the sucking will increase supply - There are also herbal remedies you can take, but I don't know which ones off hand and have no experience as to whether they actually work or not.

luckymummy74 Sun 20-Jul-08 06:16:43

Just to report back, I have just fed her and expressed at the same time.....got 6oz from one boob in 5 mins grin.

Panic over!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now