Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

keeping breastmilk at room temperature

(7 Posts)
mckenzie Sun 06-Feb-05 20:13:44

i'm babysitting tongiht for my 11 week old god daughter. Mum breastfed her at 6.45 but she wouldn't settle so i've just heated a bottle of breatmilk and it's only taken not even 1 ounze tog et her off.
Can i keep the bottle now at room temperature and use it later this evening if she wakes up?
I know I cant re-heat it.

KristinaM Sun 06-Feb-05 20:18:52

Not sure - once baby has drunk from it,it will be contaminated from her mouth and these will multiply at room temperture. unless the wonderful antibacteriological properties in BM make it ok???

I do understand your reluctance to throw out EBM though....

What a nice godmother you are to babysit

mckenzie Sun 06-Feb-05 20:24:51

My friend and I are making the most of it as I'm 38 weeks pregnant with No 2 so I wont be offering my services for my longer. She's a little dote though and it's good practice so i'm more than happy.

KristinaM Sun 06-Feb-05 20:27:34

Oh i wish i had a friend like you - babysitting at 38 weeks . Hope you get lots of rest tonight. I'm sure someone will come along soon to answer you BM question properly

TracyK Sun 06-Feb-05 20:31:13

I'm sure it'll be fine to give again. I used to keep giving milk from the same bottle throughout the night to ds - I hardly ever threw any away - although I never heated any up - just let it come up to room temp itself. Maybe pop a new sterile teat on it before giving it and make sure it's temp doesn't fluctuate.

collision Sun 06-Feb-05 20:37:30

TBH I take a bottle to bed & use it thru the night til it has gone. Didnt do ds1 any harm!

mckenzie Sun 06-Feb-05 21:17:00

thanks guys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now