Talk

Advanced search

What do I do now?

(7 Posts)
turtle23 Sat 19-Jul-08 11:03:22

OK, DS is 16 weeks and I have breastfed up until now. Am determined to switch to bottles now as am really wanting a couple of months "off" before starting for number two. He hates bottles, and will take only two ounces before he spits it out. He will always have room for the boob afterwards, so can't be totally stuffed. He has had a bottle of formula (2 oz, surprise surprise) at 1030, do I just keep going with no breast every four hours and hope that he learns to drink more? Am willing to go through the three days of agony, as I really don't think DS is that keen on bottles and is a stubborn little sod. Think the gradual feed dropping would be a nightmare as he is demand fed (although it's 3 hrs ish daytime and 2 hours ish nighttime) I'm rambling, I know, but got 3 hours sleep again last night...

isaidno Sat 19-Jul-08 12:57:30

Why don't you carry on bf for another couple of months until he is weaned? He will be less reliant on milk and bottles then.

sannie Sat 19-Jul-08 13:10:08

turtle, I was in the same situtation with ds1 - when i decided to stop bf he would only take a couple of ounzes fromthe bottle at a time....i found that if i kept a record i could see how much he was drinking which helped....it seemed to me that he had to learn how to feed from the bottle which took about a week before he would take a full feed....

i will warn you though....if you stop bf from one day to the next then you will be in agony for a couple of days...you need to squeeze any milk left in your boobs so you don't get mastitis..i found doing this in a warm shower made it easier

best of luck x

turtle23 Sat 19-Jul-08 13:24:04

Dont want to carry on breastfeeding. It is killing me to deprive him, but I just need to not be breastfeeding for a couple of months before we start trying again in September. Call me selfish.
Have decided that for a few days he can BF at night so that I can get some relief and saves me getting up for bottles. Will be cutting this out ASAP though.
This is horrible. Hate the way he looks at me when I produce the bottle.

youngbutnotdumb Sat 19-Jul-08 13:32:53

turtle- Have you tried Closer to Nature bottles? A friend of mine used them to feed her 2 DDS alongside BF. She only used the bottles after 8pm for some reason but she done this from around 6 weeks and they were reluctant at first but after a while they just accepted it no problem. Hope this is of some help

youngbutnotdumb Sat 19-Jul-08 13:32:54

turtle- Have you tried Closer to Nature bottles? A friend of mine used them to feed her 2 DDS alongside BF. She only used the bottles after 8pm for some reason but she done this from around 6 weeks and they were reluctant at first but after a while they just accepted it no problem. Hope this is of some help

turtle23 Sat 19-Jul-08 15:27:49

YBND- Had been meaning to give them a go...got them today and he took a world record 3.5 oz!! Hurrah! Maybe we CAN do this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now