Talk

Advanced search

BF and bowel movement - advice needed-

(8 Posts)
ohmamma Sat 19-Jul-08 01:00:45

hi,

I am bfeeding as much as possible my newborn son, topping up with formula only at night. He is a week old tomorrow.

He passed his meconium twice while still at the hosp but in he last 4 days he hasnt poo!!! is this normal???

kiskidee Sat 19-Jul-08 01:10:01

ohmama I just responded on your other thread. smile

S1ur Sat 19-Jul-08 01:12:04

Firstly congratulations on your new son!

TBH I think you need to talk to your mw about this. I would expect a newborn to be having more bowel movements than this.

Is he weeing? Is he alert as well as sleeping? Is there a particular reason you are topping up with formula?

I suggest you give your midwife a call in the morning. smile

kiskidee Sat 19-Jul-08 01:12:30

Also will link your old thread to this one for you.

the best advice for now is to have skin to skin contact with your baby. strip him down to a nappy and you with minimal clothing on top. let him lie on you vertically with his head more or less between your breasts. Spend a couple hours in bed if you are not too tired at the moment, like this and see if he will latch on on his own.

this is called biological nurturing and if you search the archives with this phrase, other related information will come up.

kiskidee Sat 19-Jul-08 01:14:10

here is your old thread for the morning people to find.

tiktok Sat 19-Jul-08 08:54:58

ohmamma - I agree with everyone here. You need to see the midwife today....4 days without poo can be a sign the baby is not breastfeeding effectively or often enough. Formula will undermine your breastfeeding and make you produce less milk. No panic, but you need help to fix this asap.

tiktok Mon 21-Jul-08 09:27:01

ohmamma - any news?

tiktok Tue 22-Jul-08 23:32:47

anything?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now