Talk

Advanced search

Breast shells for milk collection - any experiences?

(16 Posts)
Essie3 Fri 18-Jul-08 21:59:48

I went to Boots today to buy some (because I leak from the other breast during feeding and it seems a waste - and I can't wring out breast pads to save the milk!). They only had Boots own, but they had holes in! I feed lying down mainly - would they work?

Has anyone got any experiences - good or bad - of using them - or any other brand?

DelGirl Fri 18-Jul-08 22:02:29

I used them when I bf dd. I used them on the opposite side whilst feeding and also whilst expressing. You have to sit up and tbh, hold on to them or make sure they're securely placed. Be very careful when you take them off too. You will collect some but it is a bit fiddly tbh.

AnyFuleKno Fri 18-Jul-08 22:06:31

I had avent ones which I found good for collecting milk from one side while feeding from the other. I found my bra held them in place fine and as long as I remembered to put the holes facing upwards and keep them upright when taking them out they didn't spill.

cba Fri 18-Jul-08 22:09:24

i use to use them and use to collect as much as an oz or two in one go, waste not want not

zazen Fri 18-Jul-08 22:12:21

I used Advent ones also - I had them in my bra, and used to wear it when feeding DD from the other boob -I had one major leaky boob and used to collect about an ounce a feed - not much - but I couldn't really get anything pumping, so every ounce saved in this way went towards a EBM bottle for DD. After the feed I'd tip the BM into a bottle in the fridge, and sometimes I'd freeze it for use with babyrice (after 6 months).

Emptying it wasn't that difficult for me as I fed sitting up with a boppy cushion as I had a crash cesarean and was in agony lying down anyway.

Good luck and HTH

NellyTheElephant Fri 18-Jul-08 22:22:16

It depends on how your milk supply is to be honest. Mine was crazy and my let down was alway like a fountain. I used avent breast shells, you can't use the ones with holes in for collection though!! I found them to be great, particulary for the first feed in the morning - I'd put one on the breast I wasn't feeding from and would usually get about 2 oz or more (which would otherwise have just been soaking into a breast pad). Even when I swapped breasts I'd usually get another ounce from the breast I'd just fed from. You don't have to hold them if you are wearing a feeding bra - the bra will hold the shell in place even if you are lying down, but you have to be sitting upright when you take it off!

From feeds in the day I'd generally only get an oz or so in total but that meant on average I'd get about 4 oz if I used them first feed and one other. With DD1 I didn't have the shells and so had to express if I wanted milk for someone else to give a bottle. But with DD2 I very rarely expressed as if I managed to collect 3 or 4 oz a day from the shells and froze it there was plenty of milk available for occasional bottle feeds (and it REALLY helped me for when DH and I went to Venice for a long w/e when DD2 was 3 months old and I was still exclusively bf - collecting the milk for my Mum to feed her during that trip was so easy!).

One point to note - it's always worth putting the breast shell onto the breast you have just fed from, even though you only get much less once the baby has fed from it. You'll really notice how creamy (much yellower and thicker) the milk will be from the 'empty' breast will be compared to the copious amounts of more watery 'grey' foremilk you get from the full breast. Then mix and freeze together.

Flibbertyjibbet Fri 18-Jul-08 22:35:48

Where are the holes in the Boots own ones? I had those and the only holes were the ones I poked my nipples through!
They came in 2 halves - front and back, which clipped together. I remember some with holes in that came with a breastpump and they were rubbish.

nik76 Sat 19-Jul-08 10:11:41

I found they made me leak more - think it was the pressure from being in my bra.

justkeepswimming Sat 19-Jul-08 10:16:48

used them with ds1 lots, collected loads. sometimes had to empty half way through a feed i was so leaky blush grin

make you look like madonna

oh and if wearing at home, when shopping delivery man comes, don't bend down and pick up the shopping.....blush

ie remember you have them on at ALL times

Ready4anotherCoffee Sat 19-Jul-08 10:19:03

...and if you have the ones with a little spout, do not put them in spout downblush

justkeepswimming Sat 19-Jul-08 10:22:00

yes spout down is not good blush

Essie3 Sat 19-Jul-08 11:15:28

A spout?! Sounds like fun! grin And LOL at the delivery man...

Well, these shells sound like they're worth a go - and I had a wet bra last night again (during feeding - other breast) so any attempt to salvage the milk would be helpful.

As would anything that make me look like Madonna... Any suggestion of a nursing bra to give the Angelina Jolie look? grin

zazen Sun 20-Jul-08 01:53:04

Good point (pardon the pun) Nellytheelephant - the milk from boob after the baby has been on is very creamy and rich - mix together with watery milk from pre baby boob to make 'mixed' milk portion.

Not sure Angelina Jolie will have spare boob to put a breast shield on Essie3!

If I remember, the little holes are on the top to aerate the nipple Flittertyjibbet.

I also had to empty out during a feed as the shield was full enough to start leaking. I'm just remembering because of your post justkeepswimming!
Funny how one forgets isn't it?

e14mum Sun 20-Jul-08 20:57:47

medela make ones without holes, just a spout

spaghettiarms Sun 20-Jul-08 21:00:49

I used these to ease pressure from very full breasts when feeding.
it was great for the early days when my body was working out how much milk DS needed.

TinkerBellesMum Sun 20-Jul-08 21:24:43

I used them (Boots own) the whole time Tink was in hospital. Not a problem except taking things from the cupboard under her goldfish bowl (hospital cot) because I leaned over rather than crouched down. I found they really helped my milk supply as it took a long time for me to have enough milk to feed her just BM.

Make sure if you are collecting from them you sterilise them every 3 or 4 hours, tops, having a second set is useful for that! Not sure about not using the ones with holes in for collecting, the Unit knew I had them in and would ask me to give them one if they didn't quite have enough milk to make a full feed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now