Talk

Advanced search

soya formula

(32 Posts)
hermykne Sun 06-Feb-05 17:10:12

am trying to get ds to take, he is now 6mths and i need to start to wean him, but he really dislikes this soya stuff - not to fond of it myself - do i just keep going and percivere, giving it to him at tea time with an aim for the 10pm feed, i feed him at 7.

any tips?

pupuce Sun 06-Feb-05 17:21:43

Why are you giving soya fomula?

hermykne Sun 06-Feb-05 17:33:17

pupuce he is showing allergic signs to the cows and goats milk formulas, hives around the mouth and a slight rash under arms, soooo frustrating...........

tiktok Sun 06-Feb-05 17:41:28

hermykne......soya formula is something you should only offer after you have totally ruled out the use of cows milk formula, after a diagnosis of intolerance/allergy. There are many risks of soya formula, and although some babies have to have it as they can't be nourished any other way, you need to be sure your baby falls into that category. Lots of info on mumsnet and if you google.

hermykne Sun 06-Feb-05 19:20:04

thanks tiktok, will do a search on mumsnet, my doc is useless and the hv a bit on the conservative side.
what why do you think is the best way to diagnose an intolerence or allergy?
there seems to be so many, yet unproven and thus confusing

edam Sun 06-Feb-05 19:47:42

your GP can sort allergy tests for you. Don't know what they do for babies, but probably a skin prick test. Don't rely on private organisations, they charge a lot of money for what is, often, a very questionable service - having done some research on this for my day job I wouldn't trust anything private allergy services told me.

hermykne Sun 06-Feb-05 19:55:34

just scanned mumsnet on this and there seems to be more of a negative feeling towards soya formula. so i'll take babe to doc tomorrow and demand the tests.

just one morething, if he is breaking out in hives to cows formula and soya aint great, have i any other option to wean? bar expressing which i can just about manage 4oz for the afternoon feed.

toomanypushchairs Sun 06-Feb-05 20:17:17

My 7yr old was allergic to formula, he had soya and is now having problems with his teeth! Soya tins now warn you to brush their teeth afterwards but seven years ago they didn't. Have heard that the skin prick test in the best way! you can get lactose free milk aswell!

hermykne Sun 06-Feb-05 21:28:40

oh thanks tomanybuggies! too many letters!

tiktok Sun 06-Feb-05 23:58:57

Lactose-free is no good if the prob is allergy to the protein....to be honest, I don't know how they confirm a cows milk intolerance in a baby, and skin prick tests are not (as far as I know) always held to be reliable. Best to speak to someone prof qualified in this....good luck.

mears Mon 07-Feb-05 00:04:38

Why do you need to wean him onto other milk hermykne?

toomanypushchairs Mon 07-Feb-05 10:50:59

tiktok probably right! Hope you get it sorted

sleepytinkerbell Mon 07-Feb-05 11:10:09

dont know if this will help but enfamil or nutrimigen do a hypoallergenic milk i think the product is just broken down more its worth testing other products before sticking with the soy stuff.

Although i have to say that I have one ds who was lactose intolerant and at age 1 and 1 week was on soy milk and then rice milk and although there is alot of bad press on these products i have to say so far so good. However did switch from soy to rice as eczema started all cleared up on rice milk. ds 2 is 5 months and has now been on goat milk for about 2.5 months and is much happier no eczema and no tummy problems

HTH

hermykne Mon 07-Feb-05 19:14:43

mears i didnt envisage breastfeeding after 6 months and whilst i like it and dont have any problems with it, i would like to feel i could leave him for a night or an afternoon, knowing he'd get his right amount and not be unsatisfied.

there is also a tweeny weeny bit of vanity in there too, as i would like to be me ole bra size and able to wear all my nice "tight" tops!!

moondog Mon 07-Feb-05 19:19:58

hermykne, there have been some interesting (and I have to say,quite worrying) discussions on soy milk formula on the ABM chatroom thingy.

My ds is 7 months. Must admit to hankering after my regular clothes,although it may happen faster than I envisaged. He suddenly seems to need fewer feeds and goes from 9:30 to 4:00 without a feed!
Also goes to bed at 7:30 and sleeps through!
Can't believe it-dd was never like that!

moondog Mon 07-Feb-05 19:20:32

BTW, did you consider expressing?

hermykne Mon 07-Feb-05 21:13:14

moondog i express in the morn and round noon and get 4oz which i use for his feed around 2pm. i feel this isnt enough for him but its about all i can manage - hard enough to express with dd running around as well.
but yes i do and did and have some emergency frozen amts in freezer.

i kinda feel like you that ds will lessen the day feeds so thats 1inch less on the chest measurement! har har.
its just what do i do, i dont want to breast feed after 10/11 months its just not for me.

moondog Mon 07-Feb-05 21:46:12

Well good for you (hope that doesn't sound patronising-not meant to!)
As you say, maybe it's time to call it a day and wriggle back into those sexy outfits!

moondog Mon 07-Feb-05 21:48:43

But....by about 11 months he could be on cows' milk anyway!
(Mine never took to cows' milk and I didn't b/feed that much after 7 months as was back at work and not expressing so it was only morning and evening. This plus yoghurt and cheese seemed to see her right.)
Best of luck whatever you do!

mears Mon 07-Feb-05 22:45:47

hermynke - I asked that question because since you have done wonderfully well to breastfeed until 6 months, you will be starting to drop breastfeeds anyway. As your DS has reacted to formula would it not be best to continue breastmilk till a year? That could just be one feed a day. Rather than wean onto formula milk, you could just give juice/water at mealtimes. There are other forms of calcium etc without needing to actually give milk at all. You can wear fancy bras and tight tops whilst still breastfeeding you know

mears Mon 07-Feb-05 22:47:59

Like moondog I did not substitute breastfeeds with milk. I gave cheese, yogurts, milk puddings etc. With meals I gave juice. Only one of my children liked milk to drink. If your DS has problems with cow's milk he could have soya in these foods. However I would only do that if directed by a dietician.

Chandra Mon 07-Feb-05 23:12:24

Correct me if I am wrong... but as far as I remember was there a long thread here probably years ago about hormonal problems that can be caused by soya in small baby BOYS? I had been trying soya at the time (DS had severe eczema) and that thread made me go back to cow's milk formula as the effect of it on boys development was worse than eczema. Worth a google I suppose...

Harleynoo Mon 07-Feb-05 23:18:47

There is little conclusive evidence on the risks of giving babies soya formula, I have been giving it to dd for over a year now following 9 months of BFing. She has a diagnosed allergy to cow's milk, which caused extreme discomfort, so had little choice. There have been studies into the levels of oestrogen in the milk - hence hormone problems, and also links to adhd cauded by Manganese levels. The most important thing is to get a diagnosis first. If your GP suspects allergy or intolerance (2 different things) you should be able to get a referral to an allergy clinic for free tests

SkiBunnyFlummy Mon 07-Feb-05 23:23:42

Could just be that he misses the boob.

I weaned my dd onto normal formula. She drank hardly any for about 2 months then gradually started to drink more and now lurrrves it.

hermykne Tue 08-Feb-05 18:29:03

MEARS THANKS FOR THE VOTE OF CONFIDENCE. big boobs tight tops and my belly eek, at least with smaller boobs belly isnt so bad!

yes i have a friend who weaned her tewins to water basically and my little munchin should be taking less now hes at 6mths. so i could continue.
docs tomorrow so will take it further with whatever i get out of him....put on my demanding hat.

moondog thanks -

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now