Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

so what's the ettiquette for bf at a wedding?

(28 Posts)
deaconblue Thu 17-Jul-08 20:49:24

Will be feeding dd still when I go to a wedding in Germany in September. I personally wouldn't feed in the church but am wondering about feeding during the reception. We will be the only english people there and I have no idea what Germany's attitude towards bf is - am I likely to offend if I feed at the reception?
p.s I know I should be confident enough not to care what people think when I feed my daughter but it is our friend's special day, we won't know anyone else and I don't want to feel awkward.

iBundle Thu 17-Jul-08 20:51:05

of course you should feed her, I bfed my dd at our wedding!

prettycupcake Thu 17-Jul-08 20:51:26

I don't know about Germany but if you needed to feed in the UK you could and should do it when the baby needs it, in the Church if you need to, I doubt there is a single person who would mind.
(unless you are the bride and do it whilst making your vows and even then I think you'd not have too much of an issue)

Ineedsomesleep Thu 17-Jul-08 20:59:36

I'm sure your friend would rather you feed your baby than let it scream.

elmoandella Thu 17-Jul-08 21:00:48

i'm sure if your feeling self conscious about it , it is a wedding your going to. there will probably be an outdoor garden area. take a shawl and go for a wander for a bench in the gardens. someone would have to be really nosey to come up and see if you were giving baby a wee hug or breast feeding under the shawl.

EffiePerine Thu 17-Jul-08 21:00:50

why not ask her if you're worried? I can't see that anyone would bother with you feeding a baby anywhere tbh, including in church

CantSleepWontSleep Thu 17-Jul-08 21:01:15

Don't think that God will object if you feed in a church designed for his worship wink.

broguemum Thu 17-Jul-08 21:03:39

My experience of Germans (DH and family) is that they are very pro-bf and won't bat an eyelid if you choose to bf at the reception, in the church where ever. Hope you have fun!

broguemum Thu 17-Jul-08 21:03:42

My experience of Germans (DH and family) is that they are very pro-bf and won't bat an eyelid if you choose to bf at the reception, in the church where ever. Hope you have fun!

Habbibu Thu 17-Jul-08 21:05:10

I fed in Church, well covered - think the whole congregation felt that was better than dd screaming... Did get a few double-takes as shawl wriggled.

Pannacotta Thu 17-Jul-08 21:06:51

Also think Germans are very pro-breastfeeding and am sure will be fine wherever you feed your baby.

iBundle Thu 17-Jul-08 21:11:54

I've bfed at mass too

katiepotatie Thu 17-Jul-08 21:15:07

You should do it wherever you need to, surely they would rather that than a screaming baby. You shouldn't feel awkward your doing what nature intended smile

katiepotatie Thu 17-Jul-08 21:15:45

You should do it wherever you need to, surely they would rather that than a screaming baby. You shouldn't feel awkward your doing what nature intended smile

katiepotatie Thu 17-Jul-08 21:16:38

deaconblue Fri 18-Jul-08 11:38:50

thanks. Will look into choosing an outfit a nice shawl will look nice with.

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 11:40:07

Wear a two-piece outfit and feed as she needs it. Crying is much worse, and the only thing that will draw attention away from the happy couple.

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 11:44:01

btw, I breastfed at my confirmation (not intentional, but I was called up sooner than expected). The bisohop was most chuffed about it, I think.

tiggerlovestobounce Fri 18-Jul-08 11:44:49

Feed if you need to, I see nothing wrong with breastfeeding in a church.
The german people i know are all much less self conscious about body stuff than the british people, so I would be surprised if anyone raised an eyebrow.

Smithagain Fri 18-Jul-08 11:48:15

Please don't worry about feeding her in the church. I'm quite sure Jesus was breastfed ...

Seriously, when DD1 was a baby, I fed her in church pretty much every Sunday. And so did the other two breastfeeding mums - we had quite a little production line going!

We used to go to a pew at the back, just so that we weren't distracting anyone from the service. Not that they would have objected - just that they like to coo over babies!

At the reception, I'd look for a quiet corner, just so that your baby can concentrate - but maybe that's just me. My babies were not that great at feeding in noisy surroundings.

MrsBadger Fri 18-Jul-08 11:50:22

same as anywhere else
don't hide it don't flaunt it, just do it

have bfed through many weddings and church services - ideal way to keep her quiet IMO

ruty Fri 18-Jul-08 11:51:39

why on earth wouldn't you want to breastfeed in church? smile

deaconblue Fri 18-Jul-08 11:53:35

dunno, never go there myself but thought if you can't get your shoulders out in an Italian church, norks might be even more frowned upon...

lol at thought of someone frowning on my norks grin

SqueakyPop Fri 18-Jul-08 11:56:09

If you lift your clothing up from the waist then everything is covered. I would never pull a strap down to breastfeed - too much expanse of flesh!

Brangelina Fri 18-Jul-08 11:58:04

You can bfeed in an Italian church, no problem, priests and nuns very pro. The Vatican is now uncovering all the bits that previous generations covered up in the frescos and pictures.

Last wedding I went to in Italy the bride was German, her "witness" was bfeeding a 3mo in the front pew while they went through their vows.

It's only the Brits that are funny about it IME.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now