Talk

Advanced search

To wake, or not to wake for a feed, that is the question.....

(11 Posts)
Coolmama Thu 17-Jul-08 19:39:13

DD is 9 weeks old and nearly 11 lbs - she is currently sleeping from 7pm (last feed) to between 2 and 3 am for the next one. She then sleeps happily until around 7am the next morning. So here is the dilemma - should I wake her at 11 or midnight for a feed ? She hates being woken up and will take very little milk if woken and so will generally wake again at around 5am - so should I wake her up anyway or let her lead?

Mimsy2000 Thu 17-Jul-08 19:40:32

if she's gaining weight i wouldn't!

nickytwotimes Thu 17-Jul-08 19:41:56

leave her be.
7-2 is fab at this age!

Coolmama Thu 17-Jul-08 20:25:46

That was my inital thought, but I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't being silly in letting her sleep. I felt awful waking her and then trying to get her to feed - can you imagine if you got woken up at 2am and made to eat dinner while half asleep?grin
Thanks for the replies - I will let her lead then.

poshtottie Thu 17-Jul-08 20:45:02

I've always done a dream feed around 11pm with the babies I have looked after though if you are only doing one night feed then she is doing really well. I hope you are getting an early night too. smile

Coolmama Thu 17-Jul-08 21:06:31

Am not too sleep-deprived at the moment although I am looking forward to the "sleeping through" stage - I remember the blissful feeling after DS1 started going all night - can't wait!!

Coolmama Sat 19-Jul-08 08:42:14

well, it looks like the decision to leave her to sleep was the best one - I put her down just after her 7pm feed and she woke up at 6 am - perfectly happy but certainly a bit peckish.....grin

SoupDragon Sat 19-Jul-08 08:45:16

My personal rule was never to wake a sleeping baby at night. Let them make their own pattern as you want them to learn to sleep through by themselves.

bluenosesaint Sat 19-Jul-08 08:47:13

Never wake a sleeping baby grin

She sounds like she's doing fab!! smile

Bumperlicious Sat 19-Jul-08 09:17:45

Same as the others, as long as she is alert and happy and feeding during the day I say let her sleep and enjoy it.

littlemisssplendid Sat 19-Jul-08 14:54:49

I had a similar dilema and was forcing a reluctant 11 wk dd to take a dream feed at 11 and then she would wake at 4ish for a bf.

Last 2 nights I have skipped the dream feed and she went from 7 until 3 and then last night from 7 until almost 5. Guess the dream feed was a bit pointless. Fingers crossed she will keep it up.

As my mum said - what the hell is a dream feed? They didn't have them when you were a baby, I just fed you when you woke up hungry. Sometimes the old ways are the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now