Talk

Advanced search

Sleeping through??

(14 Posts)
Sammyg81 Thu 17-Jul-08 12:29:44

I've seen and heard from alot of people that have their child sleeping through, or waking once a night, from very early on. My DS is 18wks and is still feeding every hrs, sometimes less very rarely more. I feel very low at the moment, and as if I'm the only one doing this? Is there anyone else who is struggling?

BouncingTurtle Thu 17-Jul-08 12:32:00

Sammy - ds has never slept through and he is 29 weeks shock
Believe me you are not alone. And some of those who claim their babies are sleeping through probably mean something like 11pm - 5am, or are lying grin
I think there will be people coming along to tell you of even older babies not sleeping through!

TheProvincialLady Thu 17-Jul-08 12:33:20

My DS woke every hour or so for over a year and it was extremely crap. There are lots of other mums going through the same thing but often there is so much pressure for babies to sleep through from a very young age that people lie about it, or just don't talk about it, for fear of being given loads of advice that is inappropriate to them.

Are you BF? Do you co sleep and feed lying down or do you have to get up and pick your DS out of a cot?

Seona1973 Thu 17-Jul-08 12:34:00

my bottlefed dd slept through at 5 1/2 months and bottlefed ds slept through at 8 1/2 months. It also depends what you count as sleeping through - some people may say it is a good 10-12 hours stretch whereas others may count it from say midnight to 5am which is quite a big difference. Neither of my lo's slept through until they were well established on solids (dd started at 16 weeks and ds started at 5 1/2 months)

ib Thu 17-Jul-08 12:35:54

Ds slept through a few times in the last month grin.

He's 18 months old.

MamaChris Thu 17-Jul-08 12:38:24

24wo ds finally seems to be improving - 3 nights out of the last 5 he only woke every hour

Lots of mums in RL look shocked when I've been honest about how he sleeps, so I try and not talk about it. But then when their perfect babies who slept through at 8 weeks starts waking frequently at 3 months or whenever, they'd come and talk to me quietly about it (both bf and ff babies), whilst letting every one else think their babies were still sleeping through. I think there are far more bad sleepers out there than gets admitted!

Sammyg81 Thu 17-Jul-08 12:40:49

I bf and co sleep, as it's the only wayi get any sleep at all. Prblem is, i've forgotten how we managed to get my other ds into in his cot or routine. Think i'll just have to be patient. hmm

TheProvincialLady Thu 17-Jul-08 12:42:52

At 22m my DS has still never slept through 7 - 7 but he will often sleep 7-1 and then 1-7 with just a brief cuddle in between. We co sleep so it is no big deal. I tried everything except CC but what finally sorted it was a) Sorting out his diet as his is dairy intolerent and also gets tummy cramps at night from some other things b) He sleeps more heavily now. He just does. I think that happens much more quickly with most children but my DS was a late developer in that respect.

TheProvincialLady Thu 17-Jul-08 12:44:05

Sammyg81 I think every child is different anyway so you would probably have to do something different even if you could remember! Just be grateful you are not heating bottles at 4amgrin

claireybee Thu 17-Jul-08 12:47:49

DS is 7 months and usually wakes 6/7 times. Last night it was only 3 though-hooray!

talilac Thu 17-Jul-08 12:48:40

Hum, 18 weeks.

Is he feeding himself to sleep every time he goes off?

Baby sleep goes in cycles, they drift off, sleep deeply for a while, then after an hour or so go into a lighter, more easily disturbed sleep. If things aren't the same as when they went off - ie, sucking - they fuss around trying to get it back. Thus waking themselves up and you too.

The solution is to give DS his feed and then make sure he's awake when you lay him down so he can drift off to sleep on his own. If he cries, you rub his tummy and do shhh shhh shh for a while until he looks sleepy. Then you let him go off to sleep unaided. This in theory should mean that when he goes into that lighter sleep phase, things are the same as when he went to sleep, so he doesn't wake up and will only wake up if he's actually hungry.

You might find that having a comfort toy that he can hold / rub / suck when he's drifting off helps.

Disclaimer - it might take a while for him to get used to this if he's used to feeding to sleep and it might get quite loud while he does!

talilac Thu 17-Jul-08 12:52:56

Oh, and by the way re the tummy rubbing - Some babies don't like being fussed over when they are going off to sleep and in fact need to sort of moanily cry for a bit, to wind themselves down. My 2nd DD is like this. You'll get to know what your DS prefers!

Oblomov Thu 17-Jul-08 12:54:21

Ds slept through very early. I really think it was just luck. Nothing more. Some children do, some don't. I really do believe there is little you can do.
I know that sounds negative, but really it is not. I am sure it is very hard for you, but I think if you accept that you and your ds are the norm, rather than the exception, I think that helps alittle bit.

monthlymayhem Thu 17-Jul-08 22:40:45

Sammy, I'm in much the same position. DS is 17 weeks, excl bf, and having gone 11pm - 4 or 5am up until 12 weeks, for the last 5 or so he has been waking up every 2 hours during the night for a feed. At first I thought it was a growth spurt, but it's lasted too long now for that. I also tried giving a bottle of formula for his bedtime feed, but it didn't make any difference...

I'm now hoping that weaning in a few weeks time will do the trick!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now