Talk

Advanced search

Green poo at 7 weeks and DD seems to have forgotten how to suck

(12 Posts)
ElmMum Thu 17-Jul-08 10:59:17

In past 3 days DD seems to have forgotten how to BF. Instead of good deep sucks, she's sucking the nipple in and out of her mouth (think this is called tongue thrusting), making clicking/lip smacking sounds, pummelling my boobs with her fists and often bursting into tears while on the boob. She's also pulling her head away and stretching the nipples.

Not only is it making my boobs hurt (the area all round the nipples feels bruised) and flattening my nipples (I have a white ridge across them when she's finished), she's also not getting a good flow going and I'm worried my milk supply is going to suffer.

Coinciding with this, she's doing some great big wet yellow poos every day but also a few small green ones - which makes me wonder if she's getting enough milk.

She seems happy enough between feeds although is often cross when she comes off as though she hasn't had enough, but just shouts for a bit and then relaxes while being burped and is then either playful and smiling or goes to sleep.

This gets worse as the day wears on. Night time and early feeds are better, when boobs are fuller and milk is obv flowing okay regardless of what she's doing. Then she sucks better. But by the evening, when I think flow is pretty slow, she's very unsettled at every feed.

Worried that a) she's not getting enough b) if it carries on, I won't be able to feed because I'll be too sore and c) because she's not sucking properly, the milk will just dry up.

BF counsellor thought it was a growth spurt. I wonder if it's nipple confusion. She has had a few bottles of EBM since week 2 but only occasionally and not particulary recently. She does use a dummy quite a lot. Find it very useful so really hoping it's not this and also she's been using it since week 2 and this problem only started this week.

Any advice?? Sorry for long rambling post but am at end of tether.

starkadder Thu 17-Jul-08 12:01:27

Hi there

My 15 week old son does this (struggling, pulling at nipple, waving head around) a bit, but when he does it's always wind - if I take him off and sit him up, he usually does a humungous burp and then I can put him back again and he feeds much better.

He also had some greenish poo a couple of weeks ago, which coincided with a holiday we took in Seville where it was super hot, and I think he was a bit dehydrated. He's back to normal now.

ElmMum Thu 17-Jul-08 12:09:57

Hi starkadder. I don't think it's wind although she has been sicking up a lot more milk after feeding the last few days too.

I've been looking at her latch really carefully and she doesn't have her mouth wide enough. She used to open it up fine but it's definitely not wide enough now and is squashing my nipple flat. Have tried stroking her chin to encourage her mouth open but she just doesn't seem to want to do it and gets very angry if I withold the boob for too long while trying to get her to open up.

If this is nipple confusion, anyone know how to correct it??

LackaDAISYcal Thu 17-Jul-08 12:10:19

bumping for tiktok smile

6weeks ish is generally a time for a growth spurt, and it could be the case that your supply has settled down a bit and she isn't getting it as fast as she once was and is frustrated.

Can you shut the world out for a couple of days and have a bit if a babymoon? lots of skin to skin contact and giving her free access to the breast.

And when she comes off and seems cross, do you put her back on, or offer the other side at all?

some further information from kellymom

LackaDAISYcal Thu 17-Jul-08 12:14:35

As well as her latch, have you checked her positioning? It could be that she is just a fraction too far towards your armpit or your cleavage, and it is uncomfortable for her to open wide. Also, is she completely flat against you? if she is having to turn her head to feed that can also be uncomfortable.

and some more from kellymom smile

kellymom on pacifiers and nipple confusion

ElmMum Thu 17-Jul-08 12:33:02

The thing about it being a growth spurt is I would think she would suck away for a bit while it's coming through and then get frustrated and start pulling etc when it runs out. But she's just not sucking right from the start.

I will try her further back. I could see how that might help.

Is frustrating that this is happening at 6 weeks just when everyone's telling you BF will start to click etc.

bumbo64 Thu 17-Jul-08 13:01:09

If you are worried about your milk supply being affected, go out to a local health foods/herbal shop and buy some Brewers Yeast (1-2 heaped teaspoons mixed into citrus juice, 'cos it tastes awful!, twice a day), and some "nursing tea" (3-4 cups a day). My baby was unwell a few weeks ago and my milk supply was really affected, as she had really lost her apetite. These 2 things, along with expressing a couple of times a day, seem to have worked a treat. Hope everything gets back to normal for you soon. I know how stressful it can all be!

LackaDAISYcal Thu 17-Jul-08 14:08:55

try some skin to skin and a babymoon and see how you get on. It's quite common to have a few blips on the way, and it will get to the point where it's second nature, honest smile

You said you;d seen a BFC; was she ahppy with your latch and positioning? Can you get to see her again, or make it out to a babycafe or other support group.

another thing maybe worth checking is whether she has an ear infection. My DD had one at about 7 or eight weeks and she got very fussy at the breast, especially on the side that was most affected. I'm not saying that's it, but it's maybe worth getting her checked out just to rule it out.

ElmMum Thu 17-Jul-08 14:42:52

Going to see BF counsellor again on Tuesday - at a BF drop-in clinic. She didn't get a chance to look at latch last time, but will defo look at that next time.

I'm absolutely convinced it's nipple confusion. Have read all the links and it all matches up - the rearing of her head, tongue thrusting etc.

Not a lot of info out there about how to fix it, but consensus seems to be no dummy or bottles until BF is back to normal, feeding her before she's hungry, preferably a bit sleepy, so she sucks instinctively (which will hopefully be a BF suck rather than a bottle/dummy suck), teasing her tongue out by having her suck on index finger before putting her to the boob, stroking her chin down to encourage mouth open...basically re-teaching her to BF suck.

Hey ho, nothing about BF is easy is it?!

Thanks for the advice

starkadder Thu 17-Jul-08 20:02:38

hello again
Not sure if this would help or not, but also when my baby has been restless and not feeding happily, draping a muslin over his head helped him to be less distracted. Also, he went through a bit of a weird stage at 6 weeks - I think as he suddenly became aware of the world around him but also aware of the fact that he couldn't get at it, if you see what I mean? Don't know if it could be connected.

rachelgreen Thu 17-Jul-08 20:13:46

the green poo thing could be because she could be getting too much foremilk, which is possible if she isn't getting a full feed as you say. (- altho' my HV used to ask me if I'd been eating too much chocolate as she said this makes their poo green too!)

Tinasan Thu 17-Jul-08 21:51:58

My DD always had green poo at around that age - I really don't think it's anything to worry about, I think it is more to do with how quickly they are digesting the milk, nothing to do with foremilk/hindmilk (which I had heard is a lot of nonsense? Sorry if that's not the case). If she's gaining weight and seems happy then she will be getting enough, perhaps it's just a growth spurt that will settle down in a few days. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now