Talk

Advanced search

My 6 week old (bf) ds hasn't poo'd for over 24 hours, should I be worried?

(11 Posts)
spiderpig Thu 17-Jul-08 09:56:28

Do you think I should be worried? He is exclusivly breastfed and had previously been pooing constantly lol! Almost at every feed, but he hasn't gone now since tues evening.

I was under the impression that breastfed babies didn't get constipated? But I've learned so much from this board I'm happy to be corrected grin

spicemonster Thu 17-Jul-08 09:57:38

BF babies can go for days and days without pooing after those first few weeks. Mine used to go a week, sometimes more. Make the most of it

Lemontart Thu 17-Jul-08 09:59:23

If your baby is not in pain (curled up yelling) and not dehydrated/feeding well, don’t worry/ Very normal in my experience.

tiktok Thu 17-Jul-08 10:00:11

This can be normal, spider, and about 6 weeks is a very typical time for the pattern to change.

At birth, babies have a gastro-colic reflex that tends to be activated when food hits the tum - it's not uncommon for bf babies in particular to 'go' many times a day and night.

This matures over the first weeks, and the result can be infrequent pooing, with a major weapons-grade industrial blow-out as infrequently as once every 10 days....

There is a wide variation in all of this.

It's certainly not constipation when a healthy 6 week old misses a day

ABitBatty Thu 17-Jul-08 10:00:12

My bf ds is 9 weeks old and since he was about 5 or 6 weeks old he only does a poo once or twice a week. Previously he was going after every feed but not now!
I know it's normal for my DS, he isn't constipated or anything, but when he goes it's quite a big one grin apparently it's something to do with not much 'waste' from breastmilk ?

VictorianSqualor Thu 17-Jul-08 10:00:48

As other posters have already said, it's perfectly normal, as long as he is in no pain, don't fret.
You may well get a very explosive all-up-the-back nappy soon though!

AnguaVonUberwald Thu 17-Jul-08 10:04:22

DS waited until about 5 days after birth to have a poo, and then he pooed for 10 mins non stop! it was really quite funny.

I would just worry about how to deal with the big poo explosion when it comes, if you leave the house, take a change of clothing for him with you.

LackaDAISYcal Thu 17-Jul-08 10:07:42

some info from kellymom

scroll down to weeks two through to six.

This is quite normal at this stage. My DD went from between 8 and 12 poos a day to one horrendously horrible mammoth defecation every three days at about 6-7 weeks before settling down to two poos a day at around 10 weeks.

first time she went for a few days was a bit of a worry though!

aurorec Thu 17-Jul-08 10:08:58

I was told BF babies can go up to a week without pooing- after a week you might want to mention it to a pediatrician/doctor if you're worried.

Lionstar Thu 17-Jul-08 10:11:25

Our longest span was 11 days I think. DP called it 'the elusive poo'. When it came it was quite a sight to behold and almost ruined the car seat smile

spiderpig Thu 17-Jul-08 10:25:45

Oh I cannot tell you how much I love this place grin

Thank you all so much for the replies, I can relax now grin

I did know that breastfed babies could go a while but it was the change in pattern that was concerning me slightly, it's great to know that it's normal at this age

I will be on the alert for the explosive nappy, I wonder if he'll be able to save it till an evening for daddy wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now