Talk

Advanced search

I had a mini freak accident and now my nipple is bleeding

(19 Posts)
StellaWasADiver Thu 17-Jul-08 07:52:36

I was shaving my underarms, as you do, and somehow when passing the razor from left to right I caught my nipple... ouch... it HURTS.

Can I still feed on this side? Not that I want to... but my concern is that it's my left side and I already feed more on the right hmm

mummypud Thu 17-Jul-08 08:09:37

i would express from that side if you can? [my dd bit me oce and even expressing was ouchy,get some nipple cream , there is a good spray wich heals in no time but i dont know the name! someone will though , ps this would be the sort of accident i would have

moopymoo Thu 17-Jul-08 08:14:55

i think i would let it heal. with ds2 i ended up after about 12 months feeding almost exclusively from my left side, we both seemed to prefer it. No ill effects and after about a year of this we stopped. both boobs the same size now - i dont have one round my knees or anything. So do whats comfy.

StellaWasADiver Thu 17-Jul-08 08:38:27

Oh my god I went against the advice because I felt a bit engorged (not fed since the early hours) and now it's bleeding worse and is agony.

I will listen from now on but how long will this take to heal? At almost 9 months DS feeds a lot...

WilfSell Thu 17-Jul-08 09:00:21

Ouch! you poor thing. I would still recommend keep putting something like Lansinoh or vaseline on so you do the 'moist' healing thing rather than dry healing. Moist healing takes a bit longer in first instance but less time in the long run because there's less chance of it scabbing over and scab coming off and having to start again...

WilfSell Thu 17-Jul-08 09:01:31

maybe take up to a day or two to heal I reckon... You could probably use other side a bit more without too much problem - it will even out again when it's healed... I'd do one feed in three from the sore side?

StellaWasADiver Thu 17-Jul-08 09:03:10

I'll have a dig around for some Vaseline, I must have some somewhere... I did have a tube of Lansinoh but never used it so god knows where it is now.

To make matters worse he just bit me on the other side! shock

I could cry. In fact I might.

thequietone Thu 17-Jul-08 09:04:15

Oooh, that made me go a bit tingly and dizzy, reading your OP...you poor thing

StellaWasADiver Thu 17-Jul-08 09:10:21

ARGH vaseline stings...

I can't imagine even expressing by hand let alone feeding - god I am annoyed with myself.

Thanks for the tip on moist healing, Wilf, that makes sense.

Is it okay if it is bleeding whilst DS feeds though?

Now I am worried about engorgement and mastitis as I've had that once and that was enough for me.

Sofa + chocolates for me

VictorianSqualor Thu 17-Jul-08 09:22:25

J, you muppet!

<<tries to make her feel a bit better>>

When expressing with B I once pulled the breastpump off without releasing the suction properly and the rubber seal that goes around the nipple was still attached to me, with half of my nipple out of the front of it, my nipple had expanded on the front though so I couldn't just pull it off, I tried, lots, to no avail.
Every time I pulled it it cut my nipple a little bit more, I was like this -----> shock
In the end I had to get a stanley knife and cut through the rubber very carefully.
I didn't feed on that side for about 3 days and when I was healed I fed on it more to get my supply back up.
Could you try using a nipple shield on that side?

WilfSell Thu 17-Jul-08 09:25:27

Yes, mainlining chocolate, I think. chocolate with chocolate sauce on with hot chocolate on the side.

PS hairy pits from now on I think? grin

StellaWasADiver Thu 17-Jul-08 11:15:49

Thanks VS

And OH MY GOD!!!! at you and your stanley knife - jeeeeesus. I am wincing reading that.

Wilf, the lesson here is certainly not to get the razor out while still half asleep hmm I should know that... It's just that DP leaves for work very early so I either jump in before he goes, or take DS in the bathroom, and as he is now cruising that seems like a Bad Idea

I've found my Lansinoh so at least I'll get my tenners worth. Feeling engorged already though. Might this encourage DS with solids more if he is not getting as much from me? His keen-ness is very up and down.

StellaWasADiver Thu 17-Jul-08 19:47:33

Ok I need to know if feeding on the injured side is good or bad for healing

because it is AGONY

but so is expressing

and feeding is at least faster, and I can sit on my hands and say ouch instead of being the one controlling the pain

but really I am close to tears

(and I did the whole labour without anything)

Ds won't latch with a shield

StellaWasADiver Thu 17-Jul-08 20:30:06

If anyone can just say feed - or don't feed - I will be grateful, going to bed soon, after some painkillers

EffiePerine Thu 17-Jul-08 20:32:33

Why not feed for a short time (to avoid getting engorged) then switch? Or try hand expressing v v gently

you poor thing- sounds v v painful

StellaWasADiver Thu 17-Jul-08 20:36:40

Thanks Effie, I will try and do that in the night, my concern is the bleeding, partly, though I think I have read on here that it's ok if blood mixes in with the milk as that's how it's made in the first place.

Sorry, I am tired, that doesn't make any sense.

I am so so angry with myself, imagining engorgement, blocked ducts, mastitis, and the end of breastfeeding over something so stupid

I wonder if this is payback for a 'good run' of nearly 9 months without any problems (emotional issues, strikes and teething aside!!! but physically...)

EffiePerine Thu 17-Jul-08 20:41:09

well at 9 mo your supply will be pretty well established, so missing feeds from one side shouldn't be a prob I would think.

WilfSell Thu 17-Jul-08 20:48:35

hey now, it doesn't have to be the end of bf anyway... even if you do get a blocked duct you can ease it without it being mastitis...

Is it healing at all yet? Is there any minor improvement? You sound like you're in an 'all or nothing' mood but there are lots of stages in between with healing nipples, whatever the cause... A little bit better is a start, isn't it?

I'd suggest some ibuprofen, lots more lansinoh, feeding on the other side and seeing if you can hand express a bit (maybe in a warm bath will be easier?)

Maybe it will be a bit improved tomorrow morning but don't imagine the worst: your body can pick up again easily. I've had all kinds of interruptions to feeding from nursing strikes with this baby (including a few days of hardly feeding at all) and I went back again to fully feeding.

Keep focusing on heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaling...

StellaWasADiver Fri 18-Jul-08 08:22:41

Thanks Wilf, you are right, I was a bit dramatic - I've had mastitis but didn't take anti-b's and it was horrible... just dreading it again.

I was so fed up last night because I tried to feed on that side again and it just bled everywhere and stung like nothing else.

So I put on a nursing bra practically lined with lansinoh and went to bed, only fed from the other side in the night, and -touch wood- it's a lot better! Still bloody sore but I fed DS and didn't bleed so that's progress.

Stupid stupid me. Going to have some more ibuprofen and a cup of tea

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now