Talk

Advanced search

trying to get period to come back without giving up bfing - help!!

(18 Posts)
Stargazing Wed 16-Jul-08 12:53:38

with dd, period came back when she was 5 months and I was still bfing 4 times a day, but no feeds btwn 7pm and 7am.

That was just last year, so it's not like I am hugely older now ... but ds is now 7.5months, down to 3-4 bfs a day, nothing btwn 7pm and 5am ... yet no period. What can I do to jumpstart things a bit? Am not desperate to get pregnant yet, but would like to try by the end of the year, and would like to have had a couple of cycles by then, just so I know where my body's at.....

madmarriedNika Wed 16-Jul-08 13:08:54

are you 100% sure you're not already pregnant? Sounds daft I know but your body can ovulate when BFing without you knowing and it's been known for ladies to fall pregnant before an actual period has shown when BFing.

With my DS (DC#1) AF returned while BFing at 7 months, but with DD (DC#2) it was nearly 9 months- even though she'd had 1 formula feed per day since 3 months and was only on 3 BFs a day from 6 months. So maybe it does take longer each time....

I don't think you can really jumpstart things unless you perhaps go down to 2 BFs each day, but I think you should find if you carry on like you are it could come back in the next couple of months naturally.... It does vary a lot though!

StealthPolarBear Wed 16-Jul-08 13:11:31

don't know but me too so bookmarking and bumping (almost 15 mo shock)

MehgaLegs Wed 16-Jul-08 13:12:07

My periods returned at about the 8 month mark with my four.

thehouseofmirth Wed 16-Jul-08 13:18:31

Mine came back when DS was 9 months, despite his still feeding every 2-3 hours day & night.

I wonder if this will be of any help to you?

Pollyanna Wed 16-Jul-08 13:22:25

mine came back at 9 months for all four of mine still fully breastfeeding all of them at varying intervals

StealthPolarBear Wed 16-Jul-08 15:45:15

wow
is it safe? for bf and pg?

thehouseofmirth Wed 16-Jul-08 22:10:59

Apparently, yes. Have a look at what kellymom says. Not used it myself but did look into it when I was having trouble getting pregnant for a second time (despite having had regular periods for quite a while).

StealthPolarBear Sun 27-Jul-08 12:44:22

just getting this back in my list
thanks thom
I am so broody, and have also realised it makes sense for me to get pg sooner rather than later
Mioght try that and also [sob] think about night weaning...

StealthPolarBear Sat 27-Sep-08 07:36:42

bump to get back on my list

Pushpinia Sat 27-Sep-08 07:53:02

Ah SPB mine still not back either...ds 16mo...still feeding at night and a bit in the day if desperate!

Bump for you x (I always think about your name and the fridge thing now! makes me giggle!)

StealthPolarBear Sat 27-Sep-08 07:58:07

i think i might be getting some of this tomorrow hope h&b do it

StealthPolarBear Sat 27-Sep-08 07:59:45

looks like it's agnus castus

mawbroon Sat 27-Sep-08 20:23:44

I have been taking vitex for six weeks now. Am still waiting to see results....

You also need to be aware that even if your cycle comes back, you still may have not reached full fertility.

I have a regular cycle and ovulate each cycle (have been charting for well over a year now so know what is going on). However, I ovulate much later in the cycle than I did before (sometimes as late as day 20 in a 27 day cycle) which leaves me with a very short luteal phase which makes implantation unlikely.

However, you may be able to get pg straight away when your cycle returns. Everyone is different.

HTH

StealthPolarBear Sat 27-Sep-08 21:23:38

thanks
I did wonder if it would regulate my cycle but without actually increasing fertility.
Good luck!

whomovedmychocolate Sat 27-Sep-08 21:25:54

I have a ten week old DS and a nearly two year old. Both breastfed - no periods between. Look out for cervical mucous. I was apparently very fertile without coming within sniffing distance of my mooncup!

StealthPolarBear Sun 28-Sep-08 07:52:18

I will do, thanks, the long winter evenings will just fly past!

whomovedmychocolate Sun 28-Sep-08 13:31:18

Stealthpolarbear - look at it this way, if you have sex every day, your heating bills will be lower AND you'll probably get pregnant! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now