Talk

Advanced search

Remind how much milk a 10mo needs?

(6 Posts)
beansprout Wed 16-Jul-08 10:18:49

Ds2 will be 10mo when I go back to work, 3 days a week. He is b/fed but I am having problems expressing. When he is with the CM, will he need milk in addition to the morning and evening feeds he will have, or will that be enough?

TIA smile

Seona1973 Wed 16-Jul-08 12:30:09

at 10 months my ds went down to 2 feeds a day and he was bottlefed. 20oz is the recommended minimum for milk but also includes milk with cereal, in food and other dairy products so it doesnt all have to be in drink form.

Neney1 Wed 16-Jul-08 22:05:15

I'm in the same boat as you!! Feeding in morn and evening, but having problems expressing. My DS is 10 months too!! I also work 3 days per week!!

Am currently squeezing expressing out about 3 oz in my lunch break which seems pointless really, but nevertheless, he has it in the middle of the day as a snack, or mixed with pear/rice/cereal etc as he's not good at drinking milk from any other vessel than a boob. When I'm not working, he may have a breastfeed once in the middle of the day.

In all honesty though, he doesn't seem like he wants or needs b'milk while I'm at work, so I may stop with the faff of expressing and enjoy my lunch!!

HV says 2 feeds is fine if diet is balanced and calcium rich!!

puffylovett Wed 16-Jul-08 22:08:26

I gave up the expressing out of sheer boredom when DS was about 14 months, but to be honest I would express 6 precious ounces and he'd take - ooh - about 1 !!! Too busy to bother with a bottle, or not bothered and filled up on food.

I would just let them dictate - if they're not taking the milk from a beaker or bottle, ask your CM to give a yoghurt and a peice of fruit instead - your LO will soon make up for lost time when you get home. It's a lovely way to reconnect BTW smile

onepieceoflollipop Wed 16-Jul-08 22:12:12

11 month old dd here. She has a full b/feed in the morning first thing. She is offered an 8oz bottle of formula around 2pm ish (after her sleep) but often refuses it. At teatime she loves a big drink of water - cup. At bedtime 8oz of formula.

I work shifts and on call and didn't try to express as it would have been really difficult and impractical for me. My dd1 incidentally cut right back on her milk at around this age.

I think that some babies as they approach 1 year are getting more satisfaction from their solids and other drinks, but often enjoy the snuggles of b/feeding first thing and at night.

beansprout Thu 17-Jul-08 19:44:54

Ah that's great, I feel very reassured. Thanks everyone. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now