Talk

Advanced search

is there a difference between powder and ready made milk

(10 Posts)
bgt Tue 15-Jul-08 22:12:53

Is there a difference between the ready made cartions and powder formula. I heard that the powder keeps them full for longer as the ready made stuff is 'heat treated' to make it 'long life' and this destroys some of the proteins that are in it - therefore it is easier for them to digest than powder and so doesn't fill them for so long.

tiktok Tue 15-Jul-08 23:46:48

bgt - this would be a good question to call the manufacturers' helplines about.

My understanding is that you are wrong about this - carton milk is UHT, but this doesn't make it different in the way you are describing, or that it is easier to digest.

Major difference with all of them is that with powder you are using your own water, and with the cartons, it's water introduced at the point of production. And water is different in different places.

morgangee Wed 16-Jul-08 01:00:06

UHT is sterile. So you don't have to worry about bacterial contanimation in the milk. Therefore you can just open and feed.

WHO recommends only UHT sterile for the first two months.

tiktok Wed 16-Jul-08 08:59:03

Yep - that's true. I forgot about the sterility bit.

champagneandroses Fri 18-Jul-08 01:13:57

cartons of pre-prepared milk still have the same nutritional value as powdered milk and its a myth that powdered milk is more filling.

I use a lot of cartons due to the new guidlines on preparing powdered feeds in advance, theres no way my ds would wait in the morning while made a fresh feed up. So its cartons of a morning and then I can pre-empt when he'll need feeding for the rest of the day and start to make them 30 mins before.

They are so convenient when youre going out too! I dont work for them by the way sounds like im advertising then smile

bumbo64 Fri 18-Jul-08 08:12:30

Is it just me or does the milk in the cartons seem creamier?

tiktok Fri 18-Jul-08 11:10:31

Fat ('cream') content is the same, bumbo...it's probably because of the effect of UHT that it seems like this. I find 'adult' UHT milk has a creamier taste.

bumbo64 Fri 18-Jul-08 13:50:56

Probably. It's just that sometimes, after drinking formula from a carton, my ds brings the whole lot back up, like it's too heavy for her stomach. She doesn't do this when I give her powdered milk. Also, formula is thicker and creamier than breastmilk. I give my ds a bottle at bedtime, but breastfeed her for her other feeds. It must be difficult for babies to deal with mixed feeding. I'm having to introduce formula now, as on the countdown to returning to work - what a thought!

simpson Sat 19-Jul-08 00:40:11

Don't know if this is a load of old rubbish but my DD when very tiny she would only drink from cartons not powdered formula of same brand and midwife said cartons taste sweeter coz they are more caramelised (sp) I have to say they do look a different colour. Don't know if this is true... Midwife was nice though and spoke a lot of sense on other things.

bumbo64 Sat 19-Jul-08 08:26:03

I agree, the cartons taste different than the equivalent powdered milk!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now