Talk

Advanced search

Going to a wedding - what should I do?

(14 Posts)
littlemisssplendid Tue 15-Jul-08 19:40:32

Going to a wedding next week when dd will be 3 months. I've worked out that I will miss at least 3 feeds (possibly 4) and have expressed and freezed enough bm.

However, what should I do during the day? I'm going to take a hand pump and wondered if I should express every time she feeds (my mum can text me) so that we are 'in synch'. Is this totally unecessary and do I just have to express a few times to stop leakage and engorgement. Will I be messing up my supply by doing this? I'm a bit of a novice so any advice will be gratefully recieved

HolidaysQueen Tue 15-Jul-08 19:51:30

I don't think you need to express 'in synch' with her feeds but you should probably express a few times to stop leakage/engorgement and to keep your supply roughly like a usual day. I don't think one day should mess up your supply at this stage (might have done if your baby was only a few weeks old) so if you end up not being able to express 3-4 times like her feeds then I don't think it would cause huge problems. However, there will definitely be someone more qualified along than me to tell you what to do!

I have to do this in a month's time when my DS will be 4.5 months so am interested in the answers you get!

mumeny Tue 15-Jul-08 21:00:17

Firstly well done for being able to have expressed enough and been organised enough to store!
In my experience,you don't need to express at the same time as your little one feeds,but you will begin to feel uncomfortable around your usual feeding times so it would be advisable to express then. Are you planning on discarding your mild that day? If so do enjoy a lovely glass of champagne and no you won't be messing up supply as this will be demanded by your little one again before your body notices! Have a lovely time.

BouncingTurtle Tue 15-Jul-08 21:29:06

Mumery - she's doesn't need to discard if drinking - pump and dump while drinking is a myth! I can't find exact info atm but it is on kellymom.
Have a couple of drinks by all means, just don't go crzy - for one thing you'll find you probably can't handle as much vino as you used to shock
The rest of the advice is correct - you'll just need to express a bit to relieve engorgement. BM can be kept safely for several hours at room temperature if you want to decant into a suitable container and take home!

StealthPolarBear Tue 15-Jul-08 22:20:41

I would definitely make the effort to express a decent amount (you're obviously quite goos at it!)
I was away from DS for about 24 hours when he was 17w (was in hospital for 24h but saw him a couple of times) and had major supply issues. I tried to hand express but obviously it wasn't ideal.

Tapster Tue 15-Jul-08 22:45:08

Can't you take baby with you? I would have been very uncomfortable without feeding my baby for so long, pumping was not the same for me. Wear lots of breast pads.

Pannacotta Tue 15-Jul-08 22:53:26

I would also suggest that you try and take your baby with you, I couldnt have been away from either or mine for so long at this age without feeling like I was going to explode.

littlemisssplendid Wed 16-Jul-08 08:20:05

No babies allowed, unfortunately, although my dad has offered to come and pick me up early if it al gets a bit too much.

Interesting to know that I don't have to pump and dump. I will be having a few drinks but to be honest I'm so terrified of looking after dd with a hangover the next day.

BouncingTurtle Wed 16-Jul-08 08:23:25

Yes hangovers and small noisy babies aren't too compatible grin. Great incentive not to overdo it!

MummyValentine Thu 17-Jul-08 11:48:51

Went to my SIL's wedding when my son was about 6 weeks, and just pumped when convenient (there was lots of hanging round whilst pics being done) and wore ultra absorbent breastpads. I don't think you have to express around feed times. Interesting that pump and dump is a myth though, I hadn't heard that before. However, agree with Bouncing Turtle, deffo wouldn't want small bab and hangover! grin

Sammyg81 Thu 17-Jul-08 11:58:11

Doesn't thatmake anybody else mad, the no baby rule??!! Excuse me for being old fashioned maybe, but I thought weddings were about FRIENDS and FAMILY too?? I think it's terrible. My partner and I have missed two such occasions thi year because of this, relatives too! And we didn't bother going. We're getting married next year and all children and babies are invited! grin

ElmMum Thu 17-Jul-08 12:06:15

It is possible to be a good loving mother and also quite like the idea of having 24 hours away from your baby!

If littlemiss has expressed enough to go to the wedding and kick up her heels for a few hours then I think she should go for it and not feel that she should take the baby with her!? You're obviously an incredibly conscientious mum, thinking about expressing in synch with your mum feeding the baby. Have a great time and look forward to getting back to the baby for a good long feed.

mum2oandh Thu 17-Jul-08 12:08:39

I'm sure you have, but you have checked your baby will take a bottle?
Happened to a friend, had to leave a very expensive theatre show, to go home and feed screaming, bottle refusing dd!

Sammyg81 Thu 17-Jul-08 12:13:18

I wasn't saying that u shouldn't have time away from ur baby at all. I just think that weddings are something that u shouldn't be put in the position where u have to make that choice?
No offence was meant!!
I think it's great that she has managed to orgaise herself to be able to do so, as i have not been able to get mine to takefrom a bottle yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now