Talk

Advanced search

Relactating?

(7 Posts)
Ewe Tue 15-Jul-08 17:38:45

This may seem weird but I am wondering how long after birth you can breastfeed if you stop. My DD - 17weeks - was mixed fed from birth and had crap support and ended up stopping at 9 weeks.

Recently I have been topless in bed and she has tried to latch on, also now I am feeling more human I am really regretting not maintaining the breastfeeding. Is it possible to restart or have I missed the boat now? Would it be weird/wrong to try to if indeed it's even a physical possibility?

beansprout Tue 15-Jul-08 17:42:30

I think it is possible but it may take a while. Hopefully someone a bit more informed will be along in a minute! smile

tiktok Tue 15-Jul-08 17:42:44

Not weird, not wrong and worth a try if you are keen

Search mumsnet for threads on this - there are two (I think) live at the moment.

Also call the breastfeeding helplines.

Can't help noting you are another mum who started off mixed feeding with (probably) no one telling you that this is too often a surefire way of ending up solely ff

BouncingTurtle Tue 15-Jul-08 17:43:45

It can be done - there is info here
It would be best if you sought assistance from a BFC as well, telephone numbers for all the big bf orgs can be found here
You are starting the right way, you would need to bring the baby to the breast as often as you can.
Good luck!

BouncingTurtle Tue 15-Jul-08 17:44:03

X post!

Ewe Tue 15-Jul-08 17:51:47

DD was in SCBU for 10days in a different hospital to me over an hour away so I struggled to ever get my supply established, then used nipple shields, was told they had to top up when I wasn't there etc and then it just all went wrong a few weeks later!

Will give it a try I think, no harm, even if it doesn't work. Feel like I've been robbed of the experience. It almost makes me wanna have another baby!!

tiktok Tue 15-Jul-08 18:03:44

Ewe - you can hold your baby skin to skin when you give a bottle, and give lots of cuddles as if you were breastfeeding, and get that lovely closeness. Breastfeeding is more than 'just' the milk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now