Talk

Advanced search

DD only feeding from one side?

(5 Posts)
doodleboo Tue 15-Jul-08 08:56:27

I know that it's usual for babies to prefer one side, and DS did, but i am finding it really hard to get DD (8 weeks) to latch onto the right hand side, and when she does she spends her time sliding off and clicking every few seconds.

Any ideas?

She feed fine from the otherside (although a bit of clicking due to the milk coming out rather fast)

peggotty Tue 15-Jul-08 09:01:05

Do you think that the side she doesn't like has an even faster letdown than the one she does like? Might make her reluctant to feed on it. That affected my ds' feeding, also when he had a cold he rejected the same boob! He still prefers one boob over the other.

doodleboo Thu 17-Jul-08 10:15:46

I didn't realise that let down speed could vary from one side to the other.

I wondered if it could be anything i'm eating combined with that putting her off? I don't eat anything particularly spicy but i remember there are some fruits and stuff that avoiding might help?

Feeding is now not great on the other side too, although still better than the right - lots of clicking and pulling away there too.

Feeling a bit useless now - thought i would be able to BF really easily this time (naive emoticon!)

ElmMum Thu 17-Jul-08 10:51:09

doodleboo - poor you! I'm having the same problem. DD is fine on the right, sucking away properly, getting good feeds. On the left, she's never quite latched on properly. I can tell she's not getting the same suck going and that boob is never as full. I was advised to always start her on the less good side, but didn't seem to help any.

Am having new problem now, in that she seems to have forgotten how to suck at all, so she's tongue thrusting, nibbling and pulling away on both sides now. Am starting to despair!

Is worrying only having one side that works as you live in fear that it may give up the ghost and you'll have nothing to offer!

doodleboo Thu 17-Jul-08 13:38:48

You could try expressing on that side to boost your supply? I don't have too much of a problem with supply at the moment though i am getting a bit worried it's going in that direction.

Drives me mad that however much i concentrate on latching her on properly she comes straight off again! I think maybe after a few rubbish feeds she's unlearned a bit of what she knew so i'm going to make an extra effort to latch her on perfectly.

I think i'm going to have to go and see the community midwife / health visitor and see if she can suggest anything - i'm sure there are some foods that can put baby off (grapes and caffeine are some i think) but not sure i've had much of them...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now