Talk

Advanced search

How long should a bf last?

(4 Posts)
swmum Mon 14-Jul-08 22:29:44

I'm mix feeding and my son (13 weeks) is taking 10 mins on each boob about three/four times a day. Is this enough?
I know that's a 'how long is a piece of string' question but I wondered if anyone knew roughly what babies get in that time.
He is gulping for the first bit of the feed but as I'm mixing I'm worried my milk will dry up.
How many bfs a day do I need to keep it going?
Getting the let down from both boobs even when not feeding so is that sign my supply is still good?
Ages ago I posted on here that I really didn't think I'd like bf and now I have to eat my words. It is such a lovely thing to do and I'm enjoying it so much.
Hurt like hell at first but I am so glad I stuck with it. Don't know how I will ever stop to be honest. He's now reaching for my face when I feed him and it's just magical.
Will def not be mixing bf and ff with the next baby but I did it with this one when it was really painful to give myself a bit of rest and now it seems to late to turn back.
But can I keep mixing like this indefinately does anyone know?

tiktok Mon 14-Jul-08 23:33:00

swmum, great you are having a good experience.

What you are doing now is probably not enough to maimtain a supply, and milk will dwindle if you carry on what you are doing...but you can turn it round easily. 3-4 feeds a day at 13 weeks is probably too infrequent, so can you do 7-8 and include a night feed?

NOT 'too late to turn back' at all

vlc Mon 14-Jul-08 23:38:11

bumping for you

No personal experience, but reading posts here has taught me that:

Mixed feeding seems to work for some women. But it does appear to mark the premature decline, and then complete halt of bf, for more women.

It can be possible to return to full bf from mix feeding, but this requires great dedication, patience and perseverance. Other posters will be along soon with their experiences.

Congratulations on overcoming your difficulties. It's wonderful that it's now working for you. Lovely, isn't it?

I hope you get the help you need to continue enjoying bf for as long as you want. Good luck. smile

vlc Mon 14-Jul-08 23:40:20

oops - cross posts with tiktok.
What she said, really.

I made it sound like preparing for a cross channel swim. sorry blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now