Talk

Advanced search

How much does formula milk cost you per week?

(14 Posts)
chloemegjess Mon 14-Jul-08 20:25:07

Hello. I am thinking of giving up breastfeeding, or going down to 50/50. We are really skint though so worried we couldnt afford it.

How much do you pay for ff? My DD is 6.5months and on 3 meals a day. She usually has one bottle at night, but I breastfeed her first. I dont seem to have enough milk in the night to just BF, so I BF first, to keep the supply and then top up with a 5 oz bottle, which she finishes.

Also, IF I give up BF, is it best to go to a follow on milk or just go to the basic first milk?

notasheep Mon 14-Jul-08 20:26:25

We were skint and were given vouchers after i stopped breast feeding

sarah293 Mon 14-Jul-08 20:26:53

Message withdrawn

MuffinMclay Mon 14-Jul-08 20:31:01

I buy one tub of formula per week for 5 month old ds1, but he still has 5 bottles a day (not on solids yet), so I guess it would last a bit longer for you. £7 per tub, but its not the cheapest one.

chloemegjess Mon 14-Jul-08 20:39:14

Hi, forgot to ask what formula you are all buying?

chloemegjess Mon 14-Jul-08 20:40:13

And you have to be on income support or similar to get the vouchers

gallery Mon 14-Jul-08 20:41:17

just switched my baby 6 months old to Hipp organic follow on milk (from formula), use about one box a week at £5ish

MuffinMclay Mon 14-Jul-08 20:47:19

aptamil

AnyFuleKno Mon 14-Jul-08 20:51:51

Chloemegjess my dd spaced her feeds out a bit more (from 3 hourly to 4 hourly) from about 7 months which was a big relief to me and made a lot of difference! Do you feel like if your dd does this you might want to continue bfing?

jammi Mon 14-Jul-08 21:17:49

Message withdrawn

chloemegjess Mon 14-Jul-08 21:36:30

I don't know. I don't even know why I feel like I want to give up! I always wanted to carry on till she is 1 and can go straight to cows milk. She has spaced her feeds out now she is on solids.

I guess some of it is nerves as she is not putting on much weight so I guess its to know how much she is having etc. My DD is always still hungry after a BF and I dont have anywhere near as much milk as I used to.

AnyFuleKno Mon 14-Jul-08 22:11:47

I feel for you! That is my plan also.

I feel sure someone could offer you some good advice on here if you feel like your supply is reducing. I wish I could but I'm far from being an expert. I am trying to boost my supply by giving three sides at each feed (switching boobs once and then at the end of the feed offering the first boob again so extending the length of the feed a bit). I don't know yet whether this will work or not.

NumberJill Mon 14-Jul-08 22:15:26

One tub a week, so whichever one you buy. I think the first milik is fine until they are one, then they can have cows milk. Follow on milk is nutritionally no better than firast milk, and only came out when companies were banned from advertising first formula.

tiktok Mon 14-Jul-08 23:29:51

chloe - it should be a doddle to increase your supply, as it is well-established after 6 mths.

All you need to do is to feed more often - as often as you can if you want to have dramatic results, and using two or three or four breasts each time.

It's not surprising you feel you have less milk as most women aren't able to maintain much of a supply on one or two feeds only before maybe around a year - but you can change things if you want.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now