Talk

Advanced search

painful boobs after bf for 5 wks

(4 Posts)
Lib76 Mon 14-Jul-08 10:26:07

can anyone give me some advice? i have been feeeding for 5 wks now and last week was unlucky enough to get cracked nipples on bothe sides afeter discussion with hv a expressed a few time and it helped. the only proble is after a feed my boobs hust so much, they are constantly tingling. is this the milk coming in after a feed? i don't remember them being this bad. also my baby doesn't always seem to open his mouth fully at every feed hence the sore nipples!... HELP!!!

policywonk Mon 14-Jul-08 10:33:09

Ouch to cracked nipples... have you thought about contacting a breastfeeding counsellor or lactation consultant? Health visitors aren't always very well informed about bfing (although some are). Or there might be a breastfeeding support group or cafe in your area?

Try googling La Leche League or Association of Breastfeeding Mothers to find out about groups and experts in your area (there are other organisations too but can't remember the names, sorry).

Hopefully a poster who knows more than I do will be along shortly...

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Mon 14-Jul-08 10:38:11

Get your GP to check for thrush. I had no symptoms on my nipples but a lot of deep tissue pain along with the non-healing cracks but then I noticed a few white spots at back of babies tongue. We're now both on antibiotics and I'm exclusively expressing and hoping it will clear up and we'll be able to re-establish b/f properly.

Btw, a b/f counsellor didn't notice the thrush (and I suspect a similar thing happened with DS1 5 years ago) so I don't rate them as highly as everyone else seems to. sad

Lib76 Mon 14-Jul-08 10:45:08

thnaks for that guys, it didn't consider thrush as there are no signs! policywink you are right about hv, not always the best! she was in the house for 5 mins after me describing my trauma of cracked nipples! she said express for 24 hours and you will be fine! little did she tell me how long it took to express!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now