Talk

Advanced search

b/f and centile charts on news!

(7 Posts)
starlover Fri 04-Feb-05 12:50:29

Just caught this on the news....
There was a bloke saying about how breastfed babies often start to fall away from the average weight on centile charts and mothers are advised to give them extra feeds/formula to make up for it.
Well, he says they don't need it, and that overfeeding leads to a build up of fat deposits which can be dangerous in later life...

So don't always believe when they say you need extra milk for your baby!

lockets Fri 04-Feb-05 12:53:27

Message withdrawn

suedonim Fri 04-Feb-05 15:33:52

News item here.

Gwenick Fri 04-Feb-05 15:53:03

Quite funny (and I know this is an exception not the 'norm') but my bottle fed DS2 didn't stay anywhere near his 'line' - started on the 25th for weight and 50th for height - and is now on 75th for weight and 98th for height. On the other hand my BF DS1 stuck ridigdly to his line until last time I had him weighed at his 2yr check!

Annner Fri 04-Feb-05 21:51:02

My daughter has just been plotted on BF centile charts, and it makes for interesting reading:

On the usual charts she slipped off the 50th centile and towards the 25th. Her latest spurt put her just above the 50th again, but weeks 5 - 9 were difficult, as we do take notice when they slide down the centiles, even though we know that they matter not.

However, on her new chart, she has been steadily on the 25th (and so following a line - generally accepted as being a good indicator, instead of slipping down) and has jumped to the 50th this week. The bf chart is a smoother curve.

My hv got it for me, as she knew that I was concerned as we had had serious weight issues in the past.

Annner

KatieMac Fri 04-Feb-05 21:53:37

My DD was always on the 98th centile line (BF til 9 months - no formula - I was a cow in a former life) and HV insisted that it was 'cos "she's mixed race and they should have different charts"

MamaMaiasaura Fri 04-Feb-05 22:11:14

my ds was above 98th centile when born and remained around 98th till again 10 months or so.. Soley breastfed on demand. HV was happy with his overall health and he was considered to be a big baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now