Talk

Advanced search

Jo Frost

(51 Posts)
idontbelieveit Sun 13-Jul-08 22:43:22

Have just seen a bit of American Supernanny where jo pretty much forced a mother to wean her 14 moth old bf baby to help the mother "grow as a person" and because bfing at this age was an unhealthy emotional bond shock. She was attempting to wean her onto a bottlehmm at nap time. It upset me too much to watch anymore.

gigglewitch Sun 13-Jul-08 22:46:29

shock
that has surprised me, i have to say. She has just sunk in my estimation, which has been going down for some time anyway.

tiktok Sun 13-Jul-08 22:46:43

Jo Frost is hopeless on breastfeeding issues, though....her 'babycare' book is especially un-insightful.

AbricotsSecs Sun 13-Jul-08 22:47:15

Message withdrawn

HunphreyCushion Sun 13-Jul-08 22:48:40

I was shocked by this too.
The mother was rather rail-roaded into the whole thing.

hunkermunker Sun 13-Jul-08 22:48:51

That's unasseptable, Jo.

tiktok Sun 13-Jul-08 22:50:16

grin @ hunker!

Tatties Sun 13-Jul-08 22:51:28

I cannot watch this programme

idontbelieveit Sun 13-Jul-08 22:52:21

totally unasseptablegrin. I couldn't take it when the baby was crying obviously wanting mummy milk and she was trying to force her to have a bottle, why Jo why?
I quite liked supernanny before blush won't be watching it again.

sabire Sun 13-Jul-08 22:52:29

Yet another 'expert' who knows sod all about infant feeding being paid to advise mums on the subject.

Agree - it's unasspetable.

Shame really. I had a bit of a soft spot for her. In a slightly kinky sort of way. If I was a dyke, or a man, JF would definitely be MY nanny of choice. As my dear old dad says 'good god, she's a fine figure of a woman!'.

idontbelieveit Sun 13-Jul-08 22:54:22

Her comment "alysia seems to spend all day hangin' off her mother's hip or off her (raised eyebrows) breast" really made my blood boil.

Yurtgirl Sun 13-Jul-08 22:58:23

Whats the point of weaning a baby off breasts onto a bottle?

If she was going to do that why not encorage the child to use a cup/sippy cup etc

I rather like jo as well - but I am not surprised she isnt keen on long term bf

Flibbertyjibbet Sun 13-Jul-08 23:08:46

shock
Another childless childcare expert trying to tell mums about feeding.

I have followed a lot of her advice but won't be watching her again after this thread. 17 week old babies SHOULD be hanging off their mother's breast fgs!

elmoandella Sun 13-Jul-08 23:16:16

i don't agree with putting child onto bottle.should have been a sippy cup/cup.

but i do agree that at 14 month a child shouldn't still be breastfeeding.

and i'm not saying this as someone who only ff before someone attacks me. i breastfed ds for a loooong time in my book. he was 8 months. and i couldn't leave him with anyone as he wouldn't take any sort of liquid except my milk.

policywonk Sun 13-Jul-08 23:18:21

What's wrong with bfing a 14-month-old elmo?

ConnorTraceptive Sun 13-Jul-08 23:19:04

I loved it when she said "Mum did really well and stayed really detached from <whatever childs name was>" hmm

ConnorTraceptive Sun 13-Jul-08 23:19:06

I loved it when she said "Mum did really well and stayed really detached from <whatever childs name was>" hmm

berolina Sun 13-Jul-08 23:19:44

Yes elmo, why 'shouldn't' a 14mo 'still' be bf?

smallwhitecat Sun 13-Jul-08 23:21:28

Message withdrawn

NoBiggy Sun 13-Jul-08 23:21:28

Elmo, the World Health Organisation recommends bf until 2 years.

Can you send them a postcard pointing out their error?

ConnorTraceptive Sun 13-Jul-08 23:22:17

And I have to say that the whole programme just seemed to be about getting the baby weaned and out of parents bed - not exactly hell raising behaviour is it?

Oh ok, there was a little mention about the 12 year old with a bit of a gob on him.

ConnorTraceptive Sun 13-Jul-08 23:24:23

She made the "detached" comment after the mum tried to get baby to sleep without a feed. Got her to cuddle her with a pillow between them.

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 13-Jul-08 23:26:29

Oh what a fuckwit. People like her shouldnt be allowed to do this.

elmoandella Sun 13-Jul-08 23:27:53

it's just me personally coz i've been there.

i loved the bf at the start. but found it odd the more mobile he got.
when he started cruisin round furniture and just grabbing hold of me for some i thought it was time to take him off.

never said it was wrong for anyone else.

your body, do it as long as you want.

i could give you chapter and verse about the health benefits as well.

it's just my opinion. smile

VeniVidiVickiQV Sun 13-Jul-08 23:29:42

Oh, that's a shame elmo.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now