Talk

Advanced search

BF in USA

(10 Posts)
Brownhare Sun 13-Jul-08 19:04:54

Am travelling to US in Sept and will still be bf by dd. Is it ok to bf in public in the US or will i be arrested for indecent exposure?! Best to check in advance...

Califrau Sun 13-Jul-08 19:11:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VictorianSqualor Sun 13-Jul-08 19:12:00

According to this it's finesmile

SqueakyPop Sun 13-Jul-08 19:14:36

A lot of American women have tent contraptions, but there is no problem breastfeeding in the open. Your clothing preserves your modesty, and protects delicate eyes.

The laws are similar to the UK - 'the law can't come between baby and breast', sort of thing.

Go for it!

ib Sun 13-Jul-08 19:14:41

My sisters are in the US and bf whenever, wherever without bothering about being discreet or anything else - they have told me it's illegal for anyone to try to stop you.

I think it varies a bit from state to state though - where are you going?

ilovemydog Sun 13-Jul-08 19:18:02

Depends where you go - in cities, I've never felt out of place.

At a truck stop along route 66, may be another issue! smile

Just bring a cot type cotton blanket, or muslin cloth. You'll be fine.

ib Sun 13-Jul-08 19:19:43

Even in Utah, which is as nutty conservative as states get, the law exempts public bfing from indecent exposure laws.

Katsh Sun 13-Jul-08 19:49:25

Have recently undertaken a 3000 mile road trip across the US, including some route 66 truck stops smile and I bf my 6 mth old anywhere and everywhere without lots of swaddling. Tbh I'm much more discreet without swaddling. It was no big deal and I did it in lots of restaurants/ museums / truck stops/ Grand Canyon / side of swimming pools without experiencing any adverse reactions. Have a great trip.

Brownhare Sun 13-Jul-08 20:13:37

Thanks folks - we're off to Boston and then up to Maine so pretty cosmopolitan i'd like to think. Will take lots of muslins and make sure i'm as discreet as poss but my dd's a bit of a gulper so she'll be the one drawing attention to herself!

ib Mon 14-Jul-08 11:36:48

Have fun! Sounds like a lovely trip.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now