Talk

Advanced search

Help needed quickly - mifeprostone & breastfeeding

(10 Posts)
minster Sat 12-Jul-08 15:06:51

Found out today that my baby has died - I've had 400mg of mifeprostone (RU-486) in anticipation of induction on Monday. They've told me that I can't feed my son (20 months) for 2 weeks after the mifeprostone - that will be v. traumatic for both of us & ds wil certainly wean during that time

Does anyone know differently or know where I can find more info about mifeprostone's safety with breastfeeding.

chutneymary Sat 12-Jul-08 15:17:18

No idea but bump. So sorry about your baby.

chutneymary Sat 12-Jul-08 15:17:20

No idea but bump. So sorry about your baby.

ilovemydog Sat 12-Jul-08 15:19:17

Oh my god - I am so sorry sad

Could you possibly find out the name of the manufacturer and research from there?

minster Sat 12-Jul-08 15:20:52

The mw on labour ward called the manufacturers for me - it was them who said 2 weeks

Argh.

tiktok Sat 12-Jul-08 15:32:26

minster - I am so sorry about your baby.

2 weeks suspension of breastfeeding sounds an enormously long time - and shame on the midwife for not exploring further.

You can call the Breastfeeding Network's drugline about this - info on their website www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk

BabiesEverywhere Sat 12-Jul-08 15:32:48

So sorry to hear about your baby

I have seen Tiktok mention this site for drug information before
toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/

and I have searched for drugs on this site
www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk

Hope one of those links might be usefull.

Did the doctor say whether there are alternative drugs, they might use ?

ilovemydog Sat 12-Jul-08 15:39:58

babies - think the op has already had the drugs.....

terramum Sat 12-Jul-08 20:27:50

So sorry to read of your loss minster sad

I had a look on Hale's (an author of a book on medications & breastfeeding) forum for the drug you mentioned & found this thread which might help you:

66.230.33.248/discus/messages/52/3718.html

I would also recommed calling LLL as they will be able to help you find information about this issue...or at the very least suggest questions you need to be asking the health professionals.

terramum Sat 12-Jul-08 20:28:00

So sorry to read of your loss minster sad

I had a look on Hale's (an author of a book on medications & breastfeeding) forum for the drug you mentioned & found this thread which might help you:

66.230.33.248/discus/messages/52/3718.html

I would also recommed calling LLL as they will be able to help you find information about this issue...or at the very least suggest questions you need to be asking the health professionals.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now