Talk

Advanced search

Can someone reassure me re: supply and change in pattern?

(6 Posts)
Essie3 Sat 12-Jul-08 12:47:07

I tried to express today and yesterday to relieve my big breasts, but hardly managed a millilitre! Am I drying up? I still leak!

Then, DS (nearly 4 weeks) seems to have changed his feeding patterns. Last night he fed every 1-2 hours, which is a change from usual - he's normally every 3 hours, and this has continued today as well. He's exclusively breastfed. Is this a one off?

lulumama Sat 12-Jul-08 12:49:26

expressing is not an accurate way to guage milk production

putting your DS to the breast as often as he wants to go, is the best way to ensure that your supply matches his demands. his stomach is still tiny,so when he is having a growth spurt, he will go back to feeding hourly for a few days..

have you tried hand expressing , or letting the shower run over your breasts, that can help get a bit of milk out if you are struggling, but maybe hand express then get DS latched on ?

if you are struggling then you can call one of the free helpline numbers

isaidno Sat 12-Jul-08 12:50:18

He's probably having a growth spurt, when they feed more often - this will increase the supply.

You will not be drying up as long as your baby is still feeding.

Relax, and have faith in yourself.

I'm no expert at expressing, but I do know the best way to get the milk out is by baby!

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 12-Jul-08 12:52:44

Message withdrawn

Essie3 Sat 12-Jul-08 13:00:41

Thanks all - was a bit worried for a minute there (although I'm clearly still producing milk because my attempt to do without breast pads had me wet to the waist blush - so slummy!).
I'll feed through the growth spurt grin! Darn it, I was just getting used to 3 hour sleep slots!!

missingwine Sun 13-Jul-08 10:12:12

Essie, my DS is 8 days old and b'feeding well. When he was 3 days old my jugs got so big and hard that he couldn't latch on, so I expressed and fed him the milk from Tommy Tippee bottles a couple of times; give it a try smile I must just be lucky as he's happy to switch between breast, breast with nipple shields (first growth spurt yesterday - owwww!) and bottle. Good luck with feeding your little one and try to persevere. Oh, and Lilypadz are good for eliminating those unsexy wet patches grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now